Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 18, 2014, 09:06:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honey flow or not?  (Read 992 times)
beehappy1950
House Bee

« on: June 26, 2012, 08:54:33 PM »

Is there something wrong this year or is it just me? I have less wildflowers this year than most, but I chalked that up to a dry spring. But we are getting more now, we have dandelions, trefoil, red, white,  clover even some yellow and white sweet clover around. But the bees just hit a few and are not really working. Anybody else having any trouble like that here in Minnesota? I am going to go feed now. My hives dont have but a pound or two in each hive . None of it capped. Harold P.S. Let me know before I go out of my mind.
stella
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:43:40 PM »

You have your supers on right? I pulled a bunch of honey from the super before I requeened a few weeks ago. They are still working the super as I just checked the hive today. Altho I think all the new brood rearing might cause a slow down. We have had decent rain here and things are blooming steady but my comparisons only go back to last year when I started bee keeping.  Im hoping they stuff that puppy full before long.  grin
Give em a pep talk? Go bees, rah,rah,rah ? huh

“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence
beehappy1950
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:52:53 PM »

My neighbor said kickem like a downed horse. Ha. Yes you had rain this spring, we didnt.  Got our first rain about a week ago. I dont have any supers on yet. The hives have to put on enough to make winter first. Anybody else?
Hethen57
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:13:27 PM »

We have had a miserably wet spring and I have tons of bees in my hives, but very little honey in my supers (which I added because of the exploding populations)...mostly bees on empty frames with some pollen.  Maybe they will do something over the next few weeks as our summer is expected to arrive soon  rolleyes  Not sure what to do.  I added some honey frames to the outsides of the brood chambers and made some splits to reduce the crowding, but we need some blossoms.

-Mike
rober
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 01:26:34 PM »

here in the st louis area we are in a drought & the flow has pretty much come to a halt. i am surrounded by nearly 2 acres of dutch white clover ( i planted most of it ) that kept my hives going but that is starting to dry up & i cannot afford to water it. my flower garden has helped too. the girls are all over my russian sage, sunflowers, & cosmos. they do not seem too interested in the day lilies. anyway it looks like that as far as filling supers the flow is over here. it this drought persists i'll have to start feeding within a month.
Course Bee
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »

My bees are working hard. I think there are more wild flowers blooming this year than the first two that I've had bees. I've added several medium honey supers to each hive.

Tim
beehappy1950
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »

I believe you have had rain in Sartell than we have here. My hives are empty. They are getting with it now cause we had some rain a week ago. It will be a while before I will have to put on supers. Hope you have a good year. Thanks for the reply. Harold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next