Did my first cutout/removal yesterday. Didn't have a video camera but I did have a camera woman taking pictures and helping me.
My Bushkill bee-vac came in handy and worked like a champ. For the most part the bee's were very docile. I only got stung 4 times through my 'sting proof' platex living gloves. First time I stuck a finger into the brood nest and other times when I pinned a bee to the backside of the comb that I was trying not to drop.
Filled 2 5 gallon buckets with honey and comb, will be crushing/straining it tomorrow most likely.
The bee's were locating in the floor between the 1st and 2nd floor. Right in the corner.
Bee's had also chewed through the ceiling into the house as well.
Colony was 3-4 ft long between a single set of joists.
My Bushkill Bee-Vac. It was a great help and very easy to build and use.
Driven by a little 5.5hp shop vac. Just enough suction to get the job done.
Cutout of capped honey to give to the hive in their box.
box full of bee's. Other than the bee's that were trying to steal their honey back from my buckets and the few buzzing around this was all of them. Never did see the queen. Hopefully she was sucked up and survived.
Putting the cutout frames of honey/brood on top of the pullout screen board.
One of the buckets of 'booty'
Top back on the 'box' pull out screen removed so the bee's can get to the brood.
Bee's this afternoon. Mere minutes after I open their screen up on the bottom so they could get out. I think that is too many bee's for 2 8 frame medium boxes.
I had an interesting time. One of the things you never see in the video's is how messy this really is. I'm not sure if the pure honey combs or the brood/honey combs were messier. This colony had a 2 inch band of capped honey at the top of every single comb.\
I've got more pictures in my photobucket album if you want to see them all.http://s1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg634/nietssemaj/Bees/Eden%20Lane%20Cutout/