Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 17, 2014, 04:02:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My little brother- CBS video  (Read 1309 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: June 08, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7411056n&tag=api

thought i'd share this.  David is my youngest brother and he has spent many hours working on this ship.  CBS did a good job with the segment i think.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 02:43:11 PM »

Cool.
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 06:22:49 PM »

Wow Kathy!  What a great video! As you said, CBS did a fine job on it. David's missing dogtags... wow! I know it must have been hard for him to return, it took lots of guts, knowing how many friends didn't survive that blast. I grew up with stories of WWII (uncle, grandfather) , Korean (my dad, uncle), Vietnam (my uncles/cousins) and I commend all those who served!

We need more of those positive stories...

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 08:11:03 PM »

yeah, i don't remember the whole story of the dog tags.  he had stashed a bag with extra stuff in a bulkhead or something.  their living space was so small that they used spaces behind pipes, etc. for extra things.  i don't remember how he lost track of it, but he thought it might have gotten wet with the fire fighting and probably rotted or washed out.  the dog tags survived and someone working on the ship found them.

i was down at Camp Pendleton playing in the dirt when the gun blew. They announced the accident over the PA.   the Marine Corps CO was the one that finally got a call through to find out if my brother was ok.  He certainly went above and beyond for me that day, as did my own skipper and the chaplain. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »

What a great story! Thank your brother for me for his dedication.

Younger brother? He looks so much older than you!  grin

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »

+ 10 points to you   grin

he is 10 years younger.

Alexis de Tocqueville
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »

Great story Kathy, thanks for sharing it!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
bud1
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 06:43:28 AM »

shucks miss kathy; soon as they flashed the pictures on and saw the pink i knew him; you gona have to drag him down to the next rondavoo or what ever you call it. sho would like to meet him

to bee or not to bee
Intheswamp
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 08:27:07 AM »

Fantastic, Kathy.  Thanks for sharing.

Ed

annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 02:17:16 AM »

Wonderful story Kathy. Thanks for sharing. Yes, I knew that was your brother as well!!
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 03:11:11 AM »

Cool story.  Would like to tour the ship someday.

I wonder how much reaction there was inside the ship when the big guns fired?  Newton says for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. 
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 10:02:52 AM »

see, i thought you guys would have thought mike was my brother with that red hair  grin

blue, i don't know but i have heard that it rocked the boat. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
Intheswamp
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »

Makes me wonder if they fire fore and aft guns together to counter balance the forces so as to keep the ship on the correct course.  It seems like shooting just the front one would turn (as pictured) the ship to starboard whereas firing a rear gun would turn the ship toward port.  I'm sure they've got it all figured out, but it made this landlubbing country boy wonder...that's bigger than my johnboat. Wink

Ed

D Semple
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 05:28:21 PM »

Great story Kathy thanks for sharing and your families service to our country
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next