Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 03:25:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoker  (Read 1955 times)
Terry N
New Bee

« on: June 16, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »

Best advice on how to keep smoker lit...what is dependable source of fuel?
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »

Finish your inspection and set the smoker on the back of your truck. It will stay lit for hours.  evil   grin

I like hemp baling twine best. NOT the plastic kind.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
David McLeod
Field Bee

Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 07:31:08 PM »

X2 on the baling twine.

Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 10:05:31 PM »

Packing whatever you are trying to smoke is first, then the material.  Over on equipment useage is a thread on this, first page now.

Joe

LoriMNnice
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »

I put a wad of newspapers start that on fire and pack whatever dry material is next to me i.e grass, straw, pine needles, etc. I put whatever in by half a handful and pack it down with hive tool, giving smoker a couple of puffs here and there, I keep doing that until its packed full and tight...So far I have never had the smoker go out or never had not enough smoke. I also have the big smoker.
wadehump
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 08:30:35 AM »

burlap
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »

Lighting a smoker with pine straw fuel

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
JackM
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »

start with wood shavings and put in a couple cups of sawdust.

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
hunter3015
New Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »

i have a small farm and plentyof pine trees.  So i just went an got a old burlap sack and fill with pine straw.  Works good and cheap and with the bag always have some dry to use just pack it tight.
Terry N
New Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL ADVICE.......MAY YOUR SUPERS RUNNETH OVER.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 08:32:12 PM »

I use leave and needles straight out of the woods.   Get it hot to start with and pile on the fuel.   
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 08:37:01 PM »

The only thing I found to make a smoker DEPENDABLE is a propane fired torch and some charcoal briscuts. 

Mine never really starts smoking well until I'm all done with the bees..... then is smokes for hours  Sad
FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 11:37:24 PM »

I use dry pine needles.  Keep them in a bag out of the rain.  Fill smoker half full, light the needles with a propane torch and then fill smoker the rest of way with needles. 

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh
TwoHoneys
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 06:54:20 AM »

Smoke bombs with burlap stuffed around them (I find free burlap bags at my local coffee shop...where they roast their own coffee). I light it all with a propane torch I bought at Home Depot.

There's a picture of a smoke bomb: http://cincinnatibees.com/2011/10/12/cardboard-smoker-bombs/

-Liz

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:04:49 AM by TwoHoneys » Logged

"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin
Javin
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 12:09:50 AM »

Can't recommend watching "hardwood's" video enough.  I used dry leaves and packed them in TIGHT like he did with the pine needles.  After an hour, I had to leave the smoker sitting out to burn itself out.  Dunno how long it took.  Had to go to bed!
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 08:51:31 AM »

Javin, I made a tin foil cover of the lid.  When you get through with the smoker  put the tin foil on press into place.  In a little it will go out and you have some fuel left to start with next time.  Happy smokin.

Joe
Beeboy01
House Bee

Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »

I've found that a small nuclear device works great with getting a smoker lit, if you don't have one of them laying around the shop try pine needles or cotton cloth like old jeans and a propane torch. I have a wooden plug which I stuff in the tip of my smoker when done with it for the day. It is attached to the smoker by a little piece of stainless chain which came from the flapper of a crapper so it won't get lost.
Course Bee
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »

I like the crapper flapper chain idea. I'm going to have to try that. I struggled keeping my smoker lit til my inspections were complete until I watched Hardwoods video. It works like a charm every time now(I do use a torch to get started of course.)

Tim
Oblio13
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 09:44:04 PM »

Get a RAGING INFERNO going with anything - newspaper, pine cones, etc. Then pack your fuel - sawdust, pine needles, burlap, baling twine, sumac seed heads, or whatever - on top of that. When you think you have enough, put some more in. Then finally top it off with a handful of green grass. Mine stays lit for hours. I keep it in a galvanized bucket with more grass stuffed in the spout if I'm driving between bee yards.
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 10:43:21 PM »

I start with pine needles.  When those get going I plop in rolled cardboard tied off with twine. Sometimes I put burlap or cotton boles in the middle of the cardboard, if I have some.  Of course I use the propane torch for a rip roaring heat source.

But I am with BlueBee.  My always seems to really start producing continuous smoke about the time I finish my inspections.

linda d
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next