Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 28, 2014, 12:38:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: falling skies  (Read 3393 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: June 11, 2012, 08:50:12 PM »

back on TNT sunday.  at least that's one show i like that they didn't kill......

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:45:56 PM »

Yet.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 10:22:12 PM »

thanks for that!   Wink

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »

Great show! Love it!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »

i am really enjoying this season.  you never hear much about the show, but it's one the top of my list when i get a chance to sit down and watch what i have recorded.

Alexis de Tocqueville
oblib
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 11:45:29 PM »

It's one of about only 3hrs a week I watch TV
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:18:08 AM »

I like Falling Skies a lot too. It obviously is going toward the "Not all aliens are alike" like so many shows have tried to show similar messages.

I remember back in the early days of video-tape rental (years before DVDs) I was in a rental store and all of a sudden 2 cops walked in and approached 2 black guys, and a third black fellow had one of the cops approach him and I heard him say "Just cause I'm black don't mean I'm with them!" and it was a pretty striking moment to me.

Just a year ago or two ago, my neighbor's grand daughter was killed in a car accident - she was a recent graduate of a local high-school and resided in a predominantly black area. There were well over 200 people turned out.

My wife and I attended the viewing and frankly were the only white people there. I felt out of place, eyes looking at us wondering what connection we could possible have with a girl 35 years younger than us and more than apparently of a different race. It was another moment of realism, that I felt, if only for a few minutes how a black person must feel in an area predominantly white, every day.

We live in a very diverse area, seeing people of all races is common. But for a moment I was a minority and it felt strange.

BACK TO FALLING SKIES - I can see the distrust and hatred that needs to be quelled in order to let trust have a chance to work. In the real world, it's like an timid pet laying prone letting you rub its belly, everything in its genes tell it otherwise. That is what the humans need to do, expose themselves, putting all their cards on the table - but frankly they (as a species) have little to lose: humanity is all but wiped out.

Interesting to think a bit deeper into some shows. I think that was something Alcatraz was missing - it had great shows, a story line of old and new inter-tangling often surprising us, but it failed (sadly) to pull off the wow factor to get it back another season.

I have a feeling Falling Skies will go the way of Jericho unless it keeps evolving without jumping the shark too badly. For some reason, few people remember the series SURFACE which I was very saddened to find it was not coming back after possibly the best seasons cliff-hanger ever.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »

Well, I just put the 10 episodes of season one in my queue at netflix.   Had to save season two when ever it comes out.   And with my luck, they will kill it right when I get into it, just like every other good scifi show that came out.   
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 12:14:27 AM »

it had great shows, a story line of old and new inter-tangling often surprising us, but it failed (sadly) to pull off the wow factor to get it back another season.

they were just getting to the meat of the story with Alcatraz.  the main problem, as i see it, is that people would rather watch mindless reality crap than any show that makes them think or pay attention.

do you realize that shows like MASH and Star Trek would never have a chance these days?

i had a black, liberal lawyer, tell me that people tend to hang with like people.  this was in response to my challenging him on an exclusively black public employee union he represented.  it's not just race.  smart people don't hang out with dumb people.  physically fit people don't hang out with couch potatoes.  probably more examples...   Wink

Falling Skies is as much a morality play as entertainment. that is both it's strength and weakness.  if shallow watchers figure out the under-story, they will probably move on....as they did with Jericho, Kings, Terra Nova,  etc.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 04:24:21 PM »

Can't believe it's almost over again for the season - although I really like this show, thinking back the last few weeks, kinda reminded me of the Soprano's last few seasons: even though a lot happened, I really didn't see the WOW FACTOR of last season's cliff hanger (yet).

I think every show (as with Breaking Bad) should have it's own cliff hanger, not just a season finale. I know Falling Skies wont disappoint us, but I think we already have the characters down, now let's kick the plot in the tail.

Follow us on TWITTER

GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 12:39:52 PM »

I was watching it and it quit showing. The next time it recorded they were allies with the bubble heads(forget the proper name). Did I miss some shows?

I loved Jericho and Earth II. I'm like yall, heck about the time you're settled in with it they pull it.

Did they pull Grimm?

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 05:35:04 AM »

Is this show still on the air or have they switched channels?  I have it set to record but we haven't seen it.

John Wayne
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »

the do this big break that lasts for months.  wish they didn't...

Alexis de Tocqueville
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 04:35:25 PM »

I started watching the falling skies show on my kindle and thought they jumped the shark a half a dozen shows in and quit it.  It is a long winter--I may have to revisit.  My last favorite was the newest Battlestar Galactica.   
josediaz
New Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 12:18:45 PM »

show is fine but too much resemblance with walking dead

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »

for some reason, this show snagged me.  part of it is the cast.  there are a number of people on there that i really like.

Alexis de Tocqueville
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 02:49:55 PM »

I do like this show, although it has turned into "The Enemy if your Enemy is your friend" kinda show - that rarely turns out to be the case. Last season's cliff-hanger (yawn) leads me to think the war is far from over.

Cast wise, I do like them. Will Patton is always great, I even have his reading an audiobook I'm listening too - I think he needs to stick to movies/TV because he doesn't exactly bring book characters to life. Just as Stephen King reading his own books, he is terrible at it.

Falling Skies though has turned into one of those shows you wait a year and a half between seasons - few shows survive that long a hiatus.

Follow us on TWITTER

AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »

When is season 4 coming on?    That is what I am waiting for.   
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 01:39:18 PM »

probably the summer.

the brits use the same formula for their series.  their shows can disappear for long periods of time and then come back.  of course, they don't churn out as many as we do, so that might make a difference.  i'd love fewer shows and more quality, but what i consider quality tends to get canceled!   grin

Alexis de Tocqueville
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 08:27:21 PM »

They're advertising around here that it's coming back on June 22nd.

John Wayne
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next