Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 01:14:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stings--variable venom?  (Read 331 times)
winginit
House Bee

« on: June 10, 2012, 08:24:24 PM »

Do some strains of bees have more venom? Is this why the old beekeeper that sold me one of my hives is rabid about wearing his suit?

Worked my bees today, wearing a suit, and got two stings. First one was through the suit on my underarm (must have crushed her), typical in that it felt more like a pin prick, hurt for ten seconds then pretty much no more pain. I can't even find it now.

Second one hurt a LOT more, and immediately. I brushed it off but maybe not the stinger--it's hard to get to that through a sock. That will teach me to not forget the boots. Now it hurts to walk, I have more swelling than usual (but not horrible), and a purple mark that is starting to creep. BF thinks it's a snake bite LOL. I didn't think it was a hornet but I didn't exactly stop and examine it.

Nothing like Rail's symptoms. But odd that the pain and reaction were so different, even given differing times the stinger may have been in.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:05:27 PM »

Individual bee's venom will vary from the same hive. They don't have to be different strains.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
blanc
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »

Been stung about ten times past couple weeks and some spots are more sensitive than others but on a whole my body has built up pretty good immunity to them. Carry around benadryl with me when doing cutouts just in case of a bad reaction. I have heard to keep a lot of vitamin C in your body to help your immune system out.

Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next