Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 12:43:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foundationless drone comb  (Read 695 times)
L Daxon
Field Bee

« on: June 10, 2012, 07:12:23 PM »

Once in a while I give the girls an empty frame to drawout without any wax foundation (just a few rows at the top as a guide.) Almost invariable the girls, regardless of which hive they are in, seem to draw out the foundationless frames with really big cells and if the queen lays in them, you can bet she will lay drones.  Why is this?

linda d
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »

because they want drones and the rest of the time you are offering them foundation that is not the size they want.  you give them the chance to easily build what they want, and they do   Wink

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Johnny253
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »

I've noticed the same thing in a couple of my hives. I gave them some foundationless frames to fill, expecting them to regress and build smaller cells or a range of cell sizes but instead they have built entire frames of very large drone comb. What should I do with these frames?
sawdstmakr
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 12:10:13 PM »

If you put them in your supers they will fill them with honey.
Jim
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 02:23:02 PM »

I figure they build what they want and I leave them.  After all I am new to beek and they have been doing it or their ancestors have been forever.  This is in my Langs, I also have a TBH where they build ever frame.  I look to see how the bees are doing, if they are building comb, fill it with stores and the queen is laying, and if there is any pest, SHB, moths, mites etc.  If everthing looks ok I'm happy and I figure they are also.  Good luck

Joe
phrasmotic
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »

I agree with what Joe said, and would add that this is one of the neat things about going foundationless.  If they want to build drone comb, then let them build drone comb.
Wolfer
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »

I do a lot of foundationless and once my bees get all the drone comb they want they stop building it.
Just because they have drone comb doesn't mean they will use it all. They will use it for food storage also.
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 06:26:36 AM »

They'll not only use (and re-use) drone comb, they'll make any changes to it they deem neccessary, although I think they like filling those big cells w/ honey more than anything  Wink, especially after the drones have been kicked out.

Complete foundationless beekeeping; it takes only a bit more time (a little more work for the Beek) but the bees build to the specs they want, not what humans have dictated.

t

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »

I use to put medium foundation into langstroth frame. So bee make drones 1/3 out of frame .
Motly I use  2 this kind of frames. When zone has been capped, I cut it off.

The whole frame is too much.

Language barrier NOT included
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next