Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 12:49:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stings - Reaction  (Read 623 times)
rail
House Bee

« on: June 10, 2012, 05:26:11 PM »

I have been stung 8 times this year; eyebrow, elbows and back without much reaction other than little swelling. Yesterday, I received a sting to the back of the ear, I broke out into rashes on the back, chest, underarms, wrist, ankles. Whelps on my elbows at previous stings.

Is this a common reaction to stings?

Sirach
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 05:45:15 PM »

no.  what you describe is a systemic reaction.  an allergic reaction.  it may or may not ever happen again, but you are the kind of person who needs the epi pens and should keep benadryl at hand.  and your cell phone.... 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bee-Bop
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 05:53:29 PM »

and your cell phone.... 

Now you have too have a cell phone to be a beekeeper ??
My how time changes things.

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 05:56:28 PM »

it is helpful.  if you are not close to your land line, and you collapse at your hives, a cell phone is handy.  i consider that one of those personal choice things....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 06:06:51 PM »

No, you don't have to have. In fact, the undertakers prefer you don't have one.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 06:16:25 PM »

Undertakers do too like cell phones.  They just put them with the loose change out of your pockets.
David McLeod
Field Bee

Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »

My first reaction was to crack a joke about only being stung eight times but this is a very serious matter. Breaking out in hives, the bad ones, is a sign of a systemic reaction and can be the precursor to an even worse reaction the next time you are stung. Do not take any chances as it could be your life. I would definitely follow the advise given and immediately obtain an epi pen, keep a supply of benadryl (childrens liquid) and have my cell phone ready on hand to speed dial 911 and know the location of the nearest ER at all times until it is determined by future stings just how bad the next reaction is going to be. It might also be wise to have a responsible party on hand when the potential for that next sting exists.
This may be just a one time thing and you have hit when your body was having a bad hair day but your body could also be telling you "NO MORE".
Even though I still could make a crack about eight times in one season I always have it in the back of my head that the very next one could be my last.

Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »

and have my cell phone ready

or his

sorry

butt kick

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next