Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 18, 2014, 02:36:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harvesting wax filled with drone comb?  (Read 471 times)
Dimmsdale
House Bee

« on: June 10, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »

Every once and a while the girls will draw out an awkward section of comb in the hive.  Its usually filled with drone brood.  I cut it out to keep the combs neat.  My question is, what is the best way to still be able to harvest the wax?  I always save all of my burr comb and extra wax to melt it down.  Should comb with brood in it be treated any differently?  Other than physically removing all the brood, how does one harvest this wax?  Just store and melt down and filter?  Thanks for the advice!
marktrl
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:51:48 PM »

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2007/06/video-on-how-to-use-simple-solar-wax.html
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »

store, melt down, filter.   Wink

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AndrewT
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:35:50 AM »

I keep an empty hive by my garden, which is more than 100 feet from my hives.  In that hive, I put all of the frames after cutting out honeycomb to crush and strain, as well as all the wax strained out of the honey (this I put in several shallow trays that stack on each other, kind of like a food dehydrator), and all other comb that I take out of the hive.  That way, the bees, wasps, ants, and even the occasional short-tailed shrew clean out all the honey and most of the brood that may be in with the wax and comb.

You do have to be careful not to put the strained wax too deep in the trays, I've found, or you'll have a lot of dead bees that get stuck and die.  And whatever you do, don't put something like that anywhere near an active hive or you'll incite robbing.

After awhile, the sticky frames will be clean, and the wax will be mostly clean, with a few dead bees and wasps to pick out.

Give a man a fish and he will have dinner.  Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next