Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: dead bees behind hive  (Read 923 times)

Offline cdanderson

• New Bee
    • Carolina Honeybees
dead bees behind hive
« on: June 08, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »
One of my 27 hives has a pile of bees and dying bees BEHIND the hive.  My first thought is pesticide poisoning but I dont see any dead bees in front of the hive.  Many of them do have their proboscis extended.  Some of them roll around and wiggle and fly off.   I have not sprayed anything near the hives.  None of other hives have the problem. I place my hives on cement blocks and the dead bees are under the hive and at the back...too weird !
Charlotte
SC Master Beekeeper
"My bees obviously dont read the same books as me !"

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
Re: dead bees behind hive
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 07:06:35 PM »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cdanderson

• New Bee
    • Carolina Honeybees
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:10:59 PM »
Yes, I am considering the virus issue but dead bees BEHIND the hive is just too weird !  I was hoping some of you might have experienced this before.  I did consider that it could have been a small swarm that landed there but I just dont think so.  Right now I am thinking virus or pesticide effects.
Charlotte
SC Master Beekeeper

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:22:39 PM »
Do they have any stores of food in the hive?

Offline cdanderson

• New Bee
    • Carolina Honeybees
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:12:20 AM »
Oh yes, plenty.  Good population, good brood pattern.  Hive config is 1 deep, and 2 supers.
Normal activity at the front,  I have not seen a repeat performance, just noticed this one day last week.
Charlotte
SC Master Beekeeper