Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 27, 2014, 07:45:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crush and strain extraction  (Read 972 times)
crane
New Bee

« on: June 07, 2012, 11:59:09 AM »

Can someone explain the crush and strain extraction process? I have two hives. I had a problem with one of them(low population) so I  removed the queen excluder in hopes that the bees would build brood in the upper medium.
The other was well populated so I left the excluder on and they have filled the upper with honey. I don't own an extractor and none are to be found in this area because evryone is using theirs now since it is harvest time.
Since I only have the one super I figured I would just crush and strain this one this year. As a newbee I do not have the slightest idea how to o this. Can anyone help?

BTW The frames on the full hive are plastic foundation in a langstroth. If that makes any difference.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:17 PM »

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com

linda has a great section on crush and strain.  it is as it sounds.  you get a big pan, cut out the comb, or in your case scrape it off i think, and use something to crush the comb.   then you set the comb in something...cheese cloth, paint strainer, etc., over  a container (5 gal bucket works) and let the honey drip out of the crushed comb. 

the warmer the room, the faster the drip.  i usually leave mine 24 hours.  then you may met the wax for whatever you want...including rewaxing your plastic foundation.

watch lindas video.  it's better than my explanation!   grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Hethen57
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 01:48:31 PM »

There are many ways to do it, but with plastic foundation I generally use a cake slicer type spatula to scrape off the cells of honey onto a glass cutting board (you don't want to damage the foundation or scrape off all of the wax coating), then mash up with something like a potato masher, then scrape into a clean home depot paint strainer stretched over a 5 gallon food grade bucket.  Let it drain and settle.  Squeeze and tighten paint strainer as necessary.  Let bees clean up ball of wax.

-Mike
Sundog
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »

My first year, I made a gizzy to support the frames that comes in handy when inspecting or harvesting.  I scraped the cells (and the honey) off and then I let the frames drip into the tub for several hours. I think a Cap Scrapper may be a better way just to uncap the cells, but I wanted the wax too. Then I strained the wax out of honey (first coarse then a fine strainer) and put the honey into jars and made candles from the wax after letting the bees clean it.  Then I gave the frames back to the bees and apologized to them for stealing their hooch.

Great fun!   grin

bulldog
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:12:33 PM »

i use some old 1 gallon ice cream buckets ( washed out, of course ), a strainer and a potato masher. the bottom bucket is where your honey ends up after being mashed and sitting in the top bucket with 1/4 inch holes drilled into the bottom with a fine mesh wire strainer in between the top and bottom buckets.sometimes the holes get blocked so you have to stir it around a bit. it's a little messy and it takes a long time, but its not too terrible.

Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:54:01 PM »

Linda has a pretty good video on crush and strain, the other ideas will work also.  But if you are in a local club or have a beek friend with an extractor They may let you use theirs and even help.  This my first year and I extracted 4 supers after spring flow, a friend from the local bee club help me at his bee house.  I gave him a couple of onion sacks of pecans.

Joe
Shanevrr
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »

Sundog you should try turning them upside down next time you may have more run out grin

www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next