Stings don't bother me much. Some swelling sometimes; no big deal. No one in my family is very sensitive.
Still, when he heard that I was keeping bees, my doctor suggested getting an epi-pen just in case. ("Just in case" could mean a guest is stung and turns out to be allergic.) I took his advice, got one, and it sat unused in the cupboard for a few years, until I noticed that it was long past its expiration date.
So I got a new prescription. But then I noticed the price. Ouch! I'm not poor, but I'm not rich enough to pay $100+ for something that just sits on the shelf for a year and then needs replacement.
- No guest has ever been stung in my yard, and not many people are really allergic
- Even if a guest DOES need it, and you do use it, you could face a lawsuit anyway.
- You can't use an adult-sized epi-pen on a child, and I figure visiting kids are more likely to be stung.
And perhaps most important:
- Where we live is 5 minutes from a hospital. Rather than fumbling with a device I don't know how to use, I'd be better off rushing a victim to the ER.
Does this reasoning make sense to others?