I've had bees for four years and have gotten stung a number of times. I got stung in the neck 3 weeks ago during a cutout and developed hives and itching all over my body that abated with Benadryl. Yesterday I got stung 10 times on my ankles and developed hives quicker with nausea/vomiting/ and tachycardia (fast heart rate)..... But I won't stop keeping bees!!
This is a true allergy. You need to be awesome careful, the next sting could kill you. This is how it works. No super sensitivity and then, boom, allergy.
I can even weed wack close to my hives early in the morning and it does not bother the bees. I have also done it in the afternoon and it does not bother them. I keep the engine speed low and that may be the key.
Loose clothing seems to prevent stingers from getting through. The Ultra Breeze suits and jackets are multi layer and I just don't think a stinger is long enough to make it all the way to skin, if you are allergic you should wear a full suit of one of these.
Gloves. Gloves suck, even latex or nitrile, the get caught and tear. Not had a sting through them yet, but I think I have some pretty gentle bees, they allow me to work the hives bare handed most of the time. I hope to remember to stop by the welding shop and get a pair of gloves for welding with TIG or MIG. Very soft goatskin and thick enough to not get stung thru.
Again, Badger, you are allergic and anaphalyxis is a real possibility, do not work your bees without adequate protection and keep an epi pen with you and take 100mg of benadryl as soon as possible after a sting and go to the emergency room as soon as possible....have someone drive you if possible.