Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 10:43:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Varroa Destructor Testing  (Read 601 times)
keito
New Bee

« on: June 05, 2012, 05:11:09 AM »

What is the best way to tell if you have any mites. My hives looks good but I want to be proactive.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »

Not sure of the best,  but what I do is open up 10 of so capped drone cells during inspection.  It is an easy sanity check.   

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

sawdstmakr
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »

We had Jamie Ellis, from UNF, do a talk at our last bee meeting. He talked about testing. If my memory serves me right, he said to take a quart jar, make up a #8 screen for the lid, fill the jar with a full handfull of bees, put the lid on, sprinkle in confectionery sugar to give them a good covering, wait about 5 minutes, pour out the sugar and mites on a white surface. you can then count the mites. No shaking of the bees is necessary. Your bees stay nice and calm and you just turn them loose.
Jim
carlfaba10t
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 12:55:12 PM »

sawdstmakr;                 You say hand full of bees,do you just rake up a hand full or shake off frame into jar? huh

Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!
rober
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »

i have a 12"x12" piece of sheet metal bent at 90 deg. i shake bees onto that & use it like a funnel.
AliciaH
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »

We had Jamie Ellis, from UNF, do a talk at our last bee meeting. He talked about testing. If my memory serves me right, he said to take a quart jar, make up a #8 screen for the lid, fill the jar with a full handfull of bees, put the lid on, sprinkle in confectionery sugar to give them a good covering, wait about 5 minutes, pour out the sugar and mites on a white surface. you can then count the mites. No shaking of the bees is necessary. Your bees stay nice and calm and you just turn them loose.
Jim

Cool suggestion, thank you!  I'll give it a try and pass on the information to our students.  They will like that option better than some of the alternatives.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next