Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 12:45:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I believe I may be a beekeeper  (Read 343 times)
StarrGin
New Bee

« on: June 04, 2012, 09:36:13 PM »

This weekend, I completed my goal for the year.
I pulled 4 completely capped frames of honey from my hive.

I cut this hive from the wall of our farm house last spring.  Over the summer they managed to repair/stabilize most of the cut frames, but made little progress on the foundation frames (about 8 and Cool.  In Feb this year, they still had about 3 frames to work in.

I mid April, I put on a honey super hoping to make 4 frames.  I didn't get to check in May.  When I open the hive there were 8 completely capped frames.  I took 4.

Now what?  I would appreciate some descriptions of how to remove the honey from the frames.  I have hive knife.  I plan to cut off the cap and let the honey drain to a tub.  The frames had cast wax/crimped wire foundation.  I've had request to put comb in the jars.  Suggestions on cutting?

Looking to next year.

I replaced the removed frames with foundation and removed my excluder.  I'm giving the hive free roam of 3 medium depth supers to increase hive population.  As I had no luck catching a swarm this season, I hope to make a split next spring.  

I'll probably put on another honey super.  Anything else I get is gravy.

I have images to post later.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »

don't cut all the caps if you want to put comb in jars.  the comb in the jars goes in capped.  crush and strain is the easiest way to get the honey if you don't have an extractor.  properly cured honey won't drip out.  search cut and strain and look at this site.

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next