Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 24, 2014, 12:54:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ross Rounds  (Read 1169 times)
rail
House Bee

« on: June 04, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »

I want to try producing "comb honey in Ross Rounds". Have read Eugene Killion's "Honey in the Comb" book. Richard Taylor's "The New Comb Honey Book" is on the way and reading C.C. Miller's "Fifty Years among the Bees".

Has anyone had success without doing a cut-down split?

Any advice, tips or methods is greatly appreciated!

Sirach
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »

The problem I see with them is what do you do with the rounds that dont get entirely capped?   With cut comb you only cut completely capped and have the option of crushing or feed back.   No waste!   
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 05:21:44 PM »

Bees need to be very crowded with a good flow to getr them to fill Ross Rounds or any section comb honey.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »

one of the catalogs has a suggestion for section comb that only experience beekeepers should use them.  if you want to do cut comb and you are a beginner, check out tillie's blog.  she has an excellent video and instructions on doing cut comb without the sections.  better, cheaper, and much safer in my opinion.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 07:17:22 PM »

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »

Rail, I am a newbee, I got my bees last dec from an estate.  I extracted 4 shallow supers last month.  I had some foundationless frames that I cut and put the comb in jars.  Left about 1 1/2" or so of comb at the top and a little down the sides of the frames.  The jars with comb were gone in a week.

Joe
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »

If you try it, wait until next year. Your flow stopped a week ago.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
rail
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 10:57:59 PM »

When doing a cut-down split for comb honey, is there a time of day that is preferred; what time of day will most of the foragers be away from the hive?

Sirach
kdm
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 08:16:50 AM »

Place section super on strong hive in a good honey flow & they will fill them just fine. if you have incomplete sections you can cut them out and crush and strain them. Use the rings over next time. I have a hard time selling them, your area may be different.

Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »

Comb honey takes a compressed hive and a strong flow.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
kdm
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »

If you compress them to close to the brood they plug them out with pollen. Its ok if its for you or someone who knows what it is but if someone dosen't know they may never buy comb honey again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next