Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 19, 2014, 07:58:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crush and strain pollen with the honey?  (Read 871 times)
TwoHoneys
House Bee

« on: June 04, 2012, 07:40:10 AM »

I can't believe I'm finally asking a question about harvesting honey. Sweet!

I have a couple of frames that are completely capped honey on one side but the other side contains both capped honey and pollen.

I will be crushing and straining...should I just crush and strain the pollen along with the honey?

-Liz

"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin
stella
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »

Congrats! Im a newbee but when I do crush and strain I scrape off just the honey cells and leave the rest for when I replace the frame into the hive. I have plastic foundation so it is easy to do.

“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:28:59 AM »

Any honey you harvest will contain pollen, whether you see it or not. The little bit you see isn't going to affect the honey one way or the other. Go ahead and crush it.

Remember, the pollen content is why customers buy honey for their allergies.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:34:06 AM »

i'd use it as a selling point and charge more! 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
blanc
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »

That is exactly what I have done with the honey I got from cutouts. So far I have harvested about 10 gals from cutouts. I tell friends that the cloudy look in it is the pollen and it is the good stuff for allergies. I personally do not care for the finely filtered honey and who really knows what the process is that commercials beeks put it through. I want mine raw and that is what I like those who purchase from me to get.  Wink

Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »

Good going Liz, this is my first year to havest any honey also.  I put some of the foundationless comb is 10 quart jars, they were gone in a week.

Joe
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »

If you just squeeze the comb in your fist instead of chopping it up you won't get as much pollen in your honey. You'll still get a good bit.
After chopping up the comb from removals and straining it it's normally quite cloudy with pollen. I let it sit for a month or more and the pollen floats to the top and forms a thick cap on top that is easy to skim off. That cap needs to be removed as it is not very palatable.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
TwoHoneys
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 05:08:30 PM »

Okay, friends, I got it. Honey that's cloudy with tiny pollen crystals is good. It's an attitude thing. Thanks!

-Liz

"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin
sterling
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 05:41:10 PM »

When I get a frame like that I put it in a jar for myself to eat.  :)Thats the good stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next