Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 22, 2014, 06:20:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walter T. Kelley F-style Frames  (Read 15581 times)
salvo
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 11:07:08 PM »

Hi Folks,

Junior here. I'm all foundationless except for the frames that came with my first year nucs. Year one, 2011, with two nucs, was not that difficult. I kept using the original built out frames as guides. I was prety much prepared for the medium supers with no built out guides.

I use a grooved top bar frame, slat turned on side, glued and stapled. This year I'm using a small 3 x 1.5 patch of foundation stapled to my top bar, just to "sharpen the edge" that the bees cling to. My new packages really built those frames out fast,... and purty too.

As has been stated, talk to your bees. Most of them are willing to listen. They'll cut you some slack because you gave them a nice home.

Salvo

Salvo
Brother Dave
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »

I started a hive last year foundation less using Popsicle stick comb guides and no drawn comb. I was lucky no cross comb. I did take a quick peak after a few days. I could correct any problem early. The bars were kept tight together and I affixed my queen cage inside a frame instead of between them. And removed it promptly when the queen was released.

Hope this helps
David

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

bbbthingmaker
House Bee

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 07:26:13 AM »

My first year I used the kelly F-style frames. In one hive the bees started  the comb to one side of the v-shaped comb guide. It was all straight but offset from center.  That made it very hard to inspect. 
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 07:49:45 AM »

My first year I used the kelly F-style frames. In one hive the bees started  the comb to one side of the v-shaped comb guide. It was all straight but offset from center.  That made it very hard to inspect. 

You'll hear/see this a lot;  One 'wonkey' frame leads to another.  Addressing it immediately upon noticing it is the best approach IMO.   The sooner you correct wonkey comb the better.   

If no drawn comb frames are available there's nothing wrong with using a few frames with foundation to help get things started and straight.  Just replace them when they hatch out with empties (foundationless), while increasing your stock of drawn comb by doing so regularly.

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
critter
New Bee

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »

we have been wiring are frames ,two across and three down ,on mid. and 3 by on brood     

critter
critter
New Bee

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 12:00:48 PM »

that's 3 by 3 on brood , it help's on extacting too.it stop the cavering and about all the cross combing and you can add a little foundation on the wire with your embedder 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:26:03 PM by critter » Logged

critter
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next