Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 10:46:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Face to Face  (Read 345 times)
mikecva
Field Bee

« on: May 25, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »

My bees have started something I do not remember seeing before (but then I sometimes do not remember breakfast  Brian) For the past 3 days they have been standing in rows, usually 3 rows but today 5 rows. There are about 50 workers face-to-face with 50 foragers in each row. I watched them for about 30 minutes today, a forager lands, goes face-to-face with a worker, then a few seconds (10-15) later the forager goes back out and the worker goes inside the hive, both being replaced by two others. It is kind of cool to watch the process but I have no idea what they are doing (there is no communication dance or wiggle just land face off and part.) The hive is correct inside, extra growing room, a good laying queen etc. Any ideas what this face off is about?

Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »

They are passing nectar.  This usually goes on inside the hive.  And since I have screened bottoms it also happens through the screen from outside to inside.  I have not seen it done on the face of the hive but that's what it sounds like.

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next