Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Face to Face  (Read 486 times)

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Face to Face
« on: May 25, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »
My bees have started something I do not remember seeing before (but then I sometimes do not remember breakfast  :brian:) For the past 3 days they have been standing in rows, usually 3 rows but today 5 rows. There are about 50 workers face-to-face with 50 foragers in each row. I watched them for about 30 minutes today, a forager lands, goes face-to-face with a worker, then a few seconds (10-15) later the forager goes back out and the worker goes inside the hive, both being replaced by two others. It is kind of cool to watch the process but I have no idea what they are doing (there is no communication dance or wiggle just land face off and part.) The hive is correct inside, extra growing room, a good laying queen etc. Any ideas what this face off is about?
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: Face to Face
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
They are passing nectar.  This usually goes on inside the hive.  And since I have screened bottoms it also happens through the screen from outside to inside.  I have not seen it done on the face of the hive but that's what it sounds like.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh