Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 24, 2014, 03:34:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House construction  (Read 1012 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: May 15, 2012, 02:29:08 PM »

Looking for answer to a question about attic ventilation. If you have seen my pictures under the topic "after the Storm" you know I am in the process of doing a lot of repairs. And I am attempting to improve things about this house. One of the problems (I thought) was water (or snow) coming in the top of the windows when it would rain. (The snow a problem after it started melting.)

Have you ever experienced horizontal rain (or snow)? You know it is pouring down rain and the wind is whipping along faster than most people drive. This mostly happens around here with a wind from the north. Wind blowing, raining, and in a bit water would be dripping down inside all the north windows of the house. Keep that in mind.... ALL OF THEM.

So after the storm we pulled all the damaged siding off the house and removed the windows. I noticed they were well caulked (All of them were). I didn't see any way for water to get around them. We are talking a lot of water when it rains or when the snow melts.

Here is my other conclusion. The soffits on the house has more holes in it than this picture I found...

And I am wondering about the possibility of the wind creating a vacuum on the south side of the house and sucking in the horizontal rain/snow through the holes on the north side. It then deposits the water behind that first board where it then goes down into the wall and drips in the windows. These are not my house just some pictures I found to illustrate.

I know I know. If I am correct that means this also has been happening inside the wall where there are no windows.  rolleyes

So I am wondering, down here in the south where it doesn't get all that cold and is dry most of the time, I could go with less ventilation and rig it so the horizontal rains can't get in..... right?  huh

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:03:23 PM »

Would spouting on the house divert enough of the water from the roof runoff to help with this? My home has a 1 foot overhang and a gutter system to direct the water to downspouts. It would have top help make kless water to blow against the house.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:49:44 PM »

That might help a bit but there is still the horizontal rain

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 07:15:06 PM »

For over thirty years I've been building homes on the beach here in central Fl and we have the same problem. Strong winds creat a negative pressure on the lee side of the house and a positive pressure on the windward side. At times it's strong enough to suck the water right past the seals of the windows and doors (especially sliders) and can certainly suck water up through the passive roof venting. I don't know what your insurance will cover but I've found that using iconene foam or one of the new soy based foam insulation systems stop the problems.

What happens in these systems closes all of the roof venting and makes the attic a "semi conditioned" area and dramatically reduces the pressure differences. It's not cheap, but can save you tons in the long run in heat gain/loss. Check into it.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »

This is that stuff that sprays in wet, swells up, and then dries rather hard? Does this also eliminate the moisture problem the ventilation is suppose to take care of?

Keep in mind I only have about six inches or so of space between the ceiling and the roof. Just fill it full of this stuff?

Jerry

hardwood
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:45:14 AM »

Yes and yes.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:33:39 AM »

I was looking at a video of that being sprayed on. Is there just the one way to apply the stuff? Would I have to rip out the whole ceiling to spray it up in there or can it be piped in with a long nozzle? It is about 14 feet to the center of the roof from front and back. If they were going to go in from the side.

Jerry

hardwood
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »

I'm not sure of what all means they have for application. The only retrofit I've done with the foam had a large enough attic to stand up in. They first have to remove any existing insulation and then block the passive venting with a screen-like material that the foam sticks to.

Find a local applicator and ask for a quote.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »

OK thanks

Jerry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next