Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 11:51:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbee questions  (Read 721 times)
JackM
Field Bee

« on: May 15, 2012, 08:18:13 AM »

Well one of my packages had a queen that just doesn't lay well.  About 8-9 days ago my mentor advised me to split that hive out and see if it would grow some queen cells.  Three days later I had at least 2 very good looking cells.  Have not been in that hive since then.  Now the split that took the queen and brood into a nuc, well in that same time frame, looks like she has laid about 9 eggs, and that sorta spotty.  Mentor has advised me to just pinch her and go for the new queens.

So (working up to the questions here)  In another few days I should have some virgin queens running around that hive.  Do I wait and let the bees pick their queen?  Do I pick one and say you live and the other dies?  Will I have to worry about swarming?  Ummmm other questions I should be asking?  Remember this is my first year and I have never seen a virgin queen, though been told they act 'speedy'

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »

let the bees sort the queen. If this was a new package this year,unless you overfeed and they fill the brood nest with syrup,you should not have to worry about swarming.Just be sure there are plenty of open combs for her to lay in. Congestion would be your main reason for swarming,not overpopulation.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »

let them decide.  all you need to do is watch that the new queen gets back into the hive mated and starts laying.  you are a ways out from that, so leave them alone for now.  pinch that crappy queen and recombine the nuc with the original hive.  window screen between the hives works great, or do a news paper combine.  be sure to leave an upper entrance on the top box while you are combining the hives.  should only take a couple of days to do it and we have good weather for it right now.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next