Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 27, 2014, 03:37:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: green ipm drone frames when do u add yours to the hive  (Read 591 times)
adamant
House Bee

« on: May 12, 2012, 06:45:44 AM »

when do u add it!
where do u add it?
how many per hive?, per brood box?
do u add them for just ipm or to increase your drown population for mating?
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 07:39:23 AM »

Spring time, when they start to make drone brood. 

I bought a couple of frames years ago and gave it a try.   One of the frames got filled with honey.   Another problem is you put a frames in your brood box, and you have to dig it back out to freeze it.   It gets hard when there is a stack of honey supers on top.  So I quit doing it real quick. 

One frame in the top brood box.  Once the queen fills it with drone and they get capped, stick it in the freezer for a day to kill the brood and any mites that are under the caps.   Stick it back and the bees will clean out the dead and start it over again.  Keep the drone population down a little and remove some reproducing mites.
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »

And yes Queen breeds do use of  them in drone yard for Queen mating.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 02:17:16 PM »

Another problem is you put a frames in your brood box, and you have to dig it back out to freeze it.   It gets hard when there is a stack of honey supers on top.  So I quit doing it real quick. 
Hence the invention of the mite zapper!

I don't use the green frames at this time either.  All you have to do is add a foundationless frame in the brood nest and the girls will fill it full of drone comb.  I've been experimenting with a 2" deep foundationless layer over my brood nest for drone culling this season.  I don't have to do any digging into the nest to remove said 2" frames.  I just swap them out or take the hive tool and scrape off the drones on the spot and stick the bare frames (more like top bars) back in and let them repeat the process again. 

The drone culling idea has some flaws.  One flaw is the bees will still turn some worker cells into drone cells even if you give them green drone comb.  Hence you can never really cull all the drones or all the mites.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next