Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 23, 2014, 11:30:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: staples that attach the brood box to the bottom board question  (Read 2759 times)
adamant
House Bee

« on: May 09, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »

what other applications are they used in? i cant find them nowhere except the bee catalogs!
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »

In the past, I have used Romex staples, but I do not think I have any bottom board stapled to a box now.   But the bee catalogs are the only place I know of to get them.   Bees will glue the boxes to the bottoms in time. 
David McLeod
Field Bee

Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:49:08 PM »

I have never understood the practice of stapling the bottom boards. It seems to be all to common to staple the bottom board to the deep and never move the hive. If you are migratory then yes everything needs to be stapled but for the average backyard hobbiest? Besides I do to many splits, combines and other manipulations plus I like to tear everything down at least once a year and give it a good scraping or fresh coat of oil.

Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:10:30 AM »

I bought some a few years back from a fastener supply place. They called them "crate staples".

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
carlfaba10t
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:36:48 PM »

I think you would be a way ahead of the game if you pre drill a pilot hole and use drywall screws,that way you can remove them easy enough for cleaning or other changes you might want to make.Just my 3 cents worth.Hate to be a copycat!! grin

Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!
oregonbeeman
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »

Im not a big fan of attaching the bottom boards to the brood chamber unless Im migrating my hives cause i like to clean the bottom boards every fall. Makes it easier it they are not attached.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »

Hive staples are easily removed with the hive tool. If you use a hive lifter to relocate the hives,it sure is handy when the bottom stays on the boxes.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »

i use them for swarm boxes.  staple the bottom and top together.  they come off when the hive is in place.  in a pinch, i have used the large electrical staples.  they aren't quite as good, but they got me through. 

ordered my hive staples from mann lake a few years ago.  got quite a big box of them, so they'll last a bit.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Satch
House Bee

Grandpa and Brandon in the hives

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »

My dad is a big staple fan Brian

I personally prefer to take a piece of scrap plywood or paneling and use some drywall screws to attach the bottom board and brood box.

Four screws on each side and it is solid.  To get it out, the cordless drill works great.
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 12:11:24 AM »

You can use Stainless Steel "Z" Springs, for hive clipping

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/zsprings.html

http://www.thorne.co.uk/image/data/catalogue/2012-catalogue.pdf

Look at Pg.23

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:29:48 AM by Jim 134 » Logged

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 11:28:49 PM »

I am constantly moving hives around so I just about always staple my bottoms in place. I use a heavy duty staple gun with extra wide crown staples I seem to only be able to find at Sears. Sometimes I have to get them to order me a few packs.

For hives four boxes or more I use those really big hive staples the large bee suppliers carry. If I'm only moving a few big hives or so I'll use ratchet straps.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next