Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 01, 2014, 10:48:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bee Space Violation  (Read 5818 times)
jataylor
House Bee

« on: May 07, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »

As you can see in the photo, I violated "Bee Space" seriously between frames 4 and 5.  The space between all the other frames is proper and all you can see are bees working on the foundation.  This was after only one week following a new package install.  The space was left to give room for the queen cage.  The queen was release when I checked.  I cleaned out the brace comb and reestablished the proper bee space between the frames.  Hated to lose all that energy and comb production, but would be a real mess if honey was stored in the comb and had to try and remove a frame or two.  Another lesson of many I'm sure to learn.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:11:56 PM by Robo » Logged
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 11:01:57 AM »

That is a nice clear picture. I think its better to get it straighten out now before they get all the frames like that.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:47:29 PM »

Been there, done that, will do it again I'm sure.    Great pic showing it.
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:30:16 AM »

I see you are finding out about bee space.I like the pic you got.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
jataylor
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:28:51 PM »

As for the Picture, it is one of those "Daaa" moments! 
Royall
House Bee

Yes, snow in Hawaii

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »

Newbee question here. To "fix" this problem, what do you do? Just replace the two frames with ones with fresh foundations? Or, do you slice off where the comb is extending too far? If you just replace them, what do you do with the material on the removed frames?

Mahalo,

Royall
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 05:55:47 PM »

don't know what he did, but i slice it off.  i have a long bread knife for just such occasions!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
jataylor
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »

Sorry for the delay in reply.  Took my handy dandy hive tool and scrapped it off into a large plastic CoffeeMate can.  When I get enough, I'll melt it down and either recoat my plastic frames or make a candle.
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »

Don't bee surprised if they try to continue cross building even after you scrape off the wax and correct the spacing.

Good Luck,

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
jataylor
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 01:06:40 PM »

I have been very pleased with the "discipline" my girls have maintained.  They have been "good" about building comb on the foundation! Wink  Not sure what the key is, but I'm happy and they seem to be also! grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next