Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First swarm in tube trap  (Read 820 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
First swarm in tube trap
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:58:46 PM »
Over the last two days, scouts have been checking out four of my swarm traps. Today, a swarm was in the process of moving into one of the horizontal tube traps! My question is, when do I take them home? If I go tomorrow to get them during the day, will they all be inside building comb, or will they have foragers out? Or, should I wait until dusk? Thanks!

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
Re: First swarm in tube trap
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:08:30 PM »
Wait until dusk or you will loose the field bees.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:15:29 PM »
Ya, move them at dark.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:20:58 PM »
Okay. Thanks! :)

Online kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:40:58 AM »
did you post some pictures of your tube trap?
.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »
Yes, I did. General Beekeeping thread, page 6. It is titled "pictures of tube swarm traps". I put the bees into a nuc early this afternoon. I caught the queen and caged her. I brought the nuc home tonight! :-D. Had three swarm calls. First one flew away as I stood there getting my stuff out of the van :'(. Second one flew before I got there, and the third one also flew before I got there!

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 04:47:55 PM »
I think that means you are out.  :-D
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 01:44:35 AM »
thats actually better than losing swarm after swarm cuz they wont stay put.  I say let them settle in before you go to shaking their world up.  let them have some open brood..