Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 26, 2014, 09:00:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: that last swarm left  (Read 522 times)
rober
Field Bee

« on: May 07, 2012, 03:55:28 AM »

i'm not sure why. bees will be bees eh? i gave them 2 frames of honey, 2 frames of drawn comb, lemon grass oil. & a frame of brood with eggs. checked the hive earlier & there were about 12 bees in it. well i'm still 4 for 6 plus 2 that left before i arrived to fetch them.
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:49:14 PM »

try moving them to a new location.  odds of them staying go way when moved
jaseemtp
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »

Rober I have had the same problems before.  I am not sure why the do it but I was given a tip to use a queen clip and keep her caged up for 3 days. 
I have even done removals where they would leave after I placed them into a hive.  They even left brood and food behind.

"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata
rober
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:35:14 PM »

my mentor even shook his head over this one. like i said they had lemon grass oil, honey, brood, the new foundation was sprayed with syrup, & they had drawn comb. PLUS they were relocated by 15 miles.
blanc
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »

rober I had them same thing happen the other day. Vacuumed up a swarm of about 40 gran of bees out of a friend s house and appeared the queen was in the box and when I went back to pick em up they all scooted on me. Was pretty bummed about it but went get another hive today out of a cut down tree and hope these stick around.

Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 10:09:44 PM »

Rober, it sounds like youíve been pretty successful to me!  4 out of 6 swarms isnít bad.  You canít win all the time you know  Sad 

Iíve caught 7 swarms so far this spring and I do one thing differently than you listed.  I give the bees a little water by squirting some water into some empty cells.  Probably not a big deal and for all I know it might be a completely worthless step, but I am batting 7 for 7 so far this spring.  Iíve caught some real beauties so far.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next