Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can i become allergic over winter ?  (Read 549 times)

Offline twintrades

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 155
  • Gender: Male
Can i become allergic over winter ?
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »
OK here is the situation. Last yr i had a cut out that i did late and it just did'nt work at all..... Hey i tryed they were going to be killed anyhow. And i collected some leftover worker bees from a cranberry marsh.

The marsh bees lit me up one night when i found out how they climb at night. Lol 6-8 stings and i was fine the next day. No swelling.

Now after i installed my packages 2 zapped me one in the leg. ( forgot they climb.) And one on my hand on the outer edge ( where the mussle is) These swelled up some not a lot but did take 3-4 days to not be swollen. They were red and irritated also. now there fine 1 week later no trace of them.

So could i have become sensitive over the winter ? Or was it the fact that it was a package that stung me and theve been cooped up for 4-5 days ??? Maybe i got a slight infection ?

Whats your thoughts ?

Offline melliferal

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • @Checkmite
Re: Can i become allergic over winter ?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 12:48:33 PM »
Well, the swelling isn't really an allergic reaction.  If that's all there was, I can assure you that you're not allergic. :)

But I've run into this as well - sometimes within the same season.  Most bee stings are about as dramatic as mosquito-bites; but every once in a while I get popped by one that leaves me looking like I could be Arnold Schwarzenegger's arm-stunt double.  Not sure what it is - perhaps some races are more potent than others, or perhaps bees' venom is "hotter" at certain ages or certain times of the year.
Recently moved; re-keeping in 2014.

Offline kingbee

  • Queen Bee
  • ****
  • Posts: 1083
  • Gender: Male
Re: Can i become allergic over winter ?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:23:46 PM »
At an emergency room near me this year a 30 years beekeeper showed up in full aliphatic shock following his first honeybee sting of 2012.

The Epee Pen his wife kept in a kitchen drawer at home was the only thing that saved his life.

Swelling, itching, burning, stinging, etc are not allergic reactions.  Dropping dead from lung failure or airway obstruction is.

Offline Robo

  • Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • *******
  • Posts: 6492
  • Gender: Male
  • Beekeep On!
    • Robo's World
Re: Can i become allergic over winter ?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:35:08 PM »
How is your vitamin C level?   If it is low,  your body can't make cortizol. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison



Offline twintrades

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 155
  • Gender: Male
Re: Can i become allergic over winter ?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 11:26:04 PM »
I dunno how my vitamin c level is that might be worth looking in to.