Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 08:52:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help with mason bees!  (Read 832 times)
Whippersnapper
New Bee

« on: April 21, 2012, 07:55:59 PM »

Their main use will be for pollination of crops (squash, melons, etc.)  I will NOT be using a typical bee hive/using beekeeping.  Plan to order them; was told on all the sites, that they start out dormant as eggs, and then become bees when warmer weather comes.  Is this true?  Know nothing about bees.

Was also told that unlike honey bees, they don't need a queen; is this true?  Where in hive should the mason bees be placed?  Does it matter if they're male or female?

I'm also wondering when I should order them.  The main season here doesn't start till May 28th, so would ordering now be too soon?

I'd be getting a bee box for them, which would essentially be their nest; would this work? I  can't post a link as to what it looks like, as it won't let me cause I'm a new user.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:57:46 PM »

you need to do more research on mason bees.  they are solitary bees and do not go in a box.  also, they need to be ordered in winter for spring delivery every place i know. i think you are to late for this year unless you can find a private seller.

they are not hard to keep, but spend some time learning about them before you invest.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Colorado Bee Man
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:29:12 AM »

you need to do more research on mason bees.  they are solitary bees and do not go in a box.  also, they need to be ordered in winter for spring delivery every place i know. i think you are to late for this year unless you can find a private seller.

they are not hard to keep, but spend some time learning about them before you invest.

I agree with this post. Do some more research.

Let's save the bees!
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 06:37:44 AM »

Whipper,
Here is a short page on mason bees. It shows some tubes, nesting box, and cocoons.
http://www.bjornapiaries.com/masonbees.html

We ship in winter, the bees hatch in time for the apple blossoms, and last 4-8 weeks. Right now, the masons are about finshed for the season.

Regardless of who you order from, buy the tubes with paper inserts. Do not buy wooden blocks with holes drilled in them. You need a system which will allow you to clean cocoons if you choose to do so.

Good luck

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next