"The best laid plans of mice and men go oft' awry."
I installed the two 3# packages of bees two days ago. I checked both feeders yesterday; there were over one hundred drowned and/or half dead bees floating in the sugar water. The bees were able to get under the white covers some way. I removed the white covers and put a handful of straw into the sugar water. I looked this morning, and there were still a few drowned bees, but only a few; others were walking on the straw and taking sugar water. After things settle down in a couple of days, I'm going to remove the straw and put in wooden sticks instead or with some straw. It's working now, but I sure hated losing those first bees just to learn what not to do.