Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 25, 2014, 08:01:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't think I would trust snopes to research this one.....  (Read 4262 times)
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 08:50:30 AM »

Birds of a feather, or are you the one who hijacked him?  grin

Just Kidding.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 04:53:18 AM »

We've been hiring Russian contractors to fly leased Russian birds for the US Army in Afghanistan for years.  These birds are mostly used for resupply missions etc. but Afghan forces also use them for combat missions.  And US SEALs sometimes use them so that the enemy won't know that it's SEALs coming.  Igor Sikorsky was a Russian who became stranded in this country when the Russian Revolution went down.  Instead of going back to Communist Russia Sikorsky remained here and designed and built helicopters for the US instead of for Russia. At any rate both German and American helicopters saw combat service in WWII mostly to rescue downed pilots.

The Russians never scrap military hardware.  They moth ball or store it in case it is needed in the future.  I would not be surprised if the Russians have pre WWII artillery stored in warehouses somewhere just in case the Fascists stage a comeback in Western Europe.  Also remember, that even a blind pig finds some acorns.   There is some fine military hardware made in Russia.  In some ways this hardware is superior to the slow and costly to make, hard to maintain, high-tech stuff we have.  I hope we never get involved in a long, high tempo conflict, with Russia, I think that type of war favors Russia.  The Germans fielded a high tech army in 1939.  In a long high tempo war that didn't work out to well for Hitler and I doubt that it would turn out well for us now.

The Russians recently set a world altitude record for a helo of 12 tons (I think) or over.  Something like 27,000 feet.  This is one reason Russian birds are used by us in Afghanistan.  Our birds on the other hand are designed for the flat northern plains of Europe, a completely different environment.
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 01:26:02 PM »

Birds of a feather, or are you the one who hijacked him?  grin

Just Kidding.
Smiley

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up