Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 23, 2014, 11:56:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard freeze after warm Spring  (Read 430 times)
greenbtree
Field Bee

« on: April 11, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »

Any data on what a hard freeze does to nectar flows in the Spring?  Can we expect a dip in nectar flows at this point?  Would it be severe enough that we should put syrup on?

JC

"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:15:59 AM »

It will just take out a little of the blooms, the ones that get bite are about to open up.  It should not slow them down that much.  I am more worried about the garden.   Everything is up now except for the okra.    My tomatoes have little ones now.   Frost is my worry.   Bees will be fine.

mikecva
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:19:55 AM »

Our nectar flow in this part of Virginia does not normally start until about June 1 or very late May. This year all bets are off. The frost has done very little damage to the fruit trees as the weather needs to be below freezing for about 4-6 hours. The flowering trees have already opened so little damage there except for this unusually high winds we are having now. The bees should just honker down in either case. -Mike

Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:32:29 PM »

Don't know about Iowa. Michigan took a hit.
Highs in the 50's today. Snow, freezing temps yesterday, Freeze warning tonight.
I have heard of 50 - 70% loss of the tart cherry crop, with some areas forecasting a 90% loss. The Choke Cherry trees are at about 50% bloom, but it really isn't warm enough for the bees to forage much. The few apple trees I checked had about 1/4 of the buds turning brown. I think the maples were all done in March.

Gloom, despair and agony....... grin Keep your chin up! (it makes a better target rolleyes)

Live long and prosper!
greenbtree
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:32:07 PM »

It was down to 24 here last night for at least 3 - 4 hours.  With wind.  I wrapped my best 5 pie cherry trees in sheets tied with twine.  (They look like giant lollypops grin)  Don't know if it helped, figured it couldn't hurt.  Otherwise, I saw less damage than I expected.  Some more sensitive plants like the elderberry might have to start over, but many others seem relatively unaffected.

JC

"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next