Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 16, 2014, 09:34:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: filters/ strainers for 5 gallon honey bucket- plastic or stainless steel?  (Read 1998 times)
adamant
House Bee

« on: April 01, 2012, 07:12:52 AM »

i see those plastic ones that fit in the bucket for a fraction of the price of the metal ones.. they worth it? will they last?
 i am looking to but once?
jmblakeney
House Bee

James

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:07:10 AM »

Google 5 gallon paint strainers and check those prices.  I think you'll be suprised.  The home improvement stores carry these.  Hope this helps. 

James

"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan
BrentX
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:13:58 AM »

The better quality paint strainers made from a fine mesh of polymeric materials do a really nice job.  They cost a couple of dollars at the local paint store.
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »

Would have to agree with Brent on the filters.   And if you need anymore 5 gal buckets you can get food grade buckets for as little as $2.00 also local, lids extra.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »

I run the plastic filters that fit in the top of the 5 gal buckets.   They work fine.  No worries.   
divemaster1963
Field Bee

God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 08:48:07 PM »

check the suggestion post I just made about the five gal honey strainer baskets. I like them but I takes a long time to strain dense dark honey thru the fine strainer. A hot trailer helps. I put mine on the table in my RV to get the heat up to help straining.
Indiana Dave
New Bee

Covered Bridge Honey Farm

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 12:22:04 AM »

Try this...

http://www.amazon.com/ExcelSteel-Professional-Quality-Colander-Santopreme/dp/B002HRFPCW/ref=pd_sim_k_16

Dave Cruser
Rockville, Indiana
BlevinsBees
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 03:18:55 AM »

Don't get the plastic strainers, there's a reason they're cheap. They don't last long after repeated use. If you only extract a couple times a year then use the paint strainers as mentioned. If you have allot of honey extracting going you may want to invest in the stainless strainers. Easy to use and clean up only takes a few minutes and they last forever.

President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com
adamant
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 06:33:11 AM »

Don't get the plastic strainers, there's a reason they're cheap. They don't last long after repeated use. If you only extract a couple times a year then use the paint strainers as mentioned. If you have allot of honey extracting going you may want to invest in the stainless strainers. Easy to use and clean up only takes a few minutes and they last forever.
stainless it is.. thank you.. which one to get?i see a bunch with different price ranges! i am a buy once guy! i think the plastic ones take up to much room in tbucketett
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 09:21:01 AM »

i use a kitchen colander with the extendable handles (couple of bucks at goodwill) and for secondary straining, the paint strainers.  be creative and save money!   Wink

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BlevinsBees
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »

I bought the Mann Lake stainless "Double Sieve" filters. It has a larger screen on top with finer on the bottom. You can put a strainer cloth in between the two to really get it clean if you want. The sieves hold the strainer cloth in place so you don't have to worry about it falling in the bucket on a heavy pour. I think there around $40.00. If you buy some extra supers or whatever you need to total $100, then it's free shipping.

President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next