Hey all, its been a while since I posted here. I moved into a new home at the end of 2010 and my one remaining hive came with me. Unfortunately, it failed during that winter and I started two new hives last year in the Spring of 2011. Both hives seemed strong going into winter this year, and I had been doing extra powder sugar treatments for mites. Things were looking good overall, but I was still crossing my fingers as winter fell and temperatures here in Northern California dropped. After January passed however, and February and March have come, I was happy to see much activity on the doorstep of these hives.
Long story short, I did my first inspection of the year this past weekend and found both hives in good order. Saw lots of capped brood and larvae in a good pattern up in the top box of the first hive. The other hive seemed to have all or mostly honey in the top box, but much brood in the lower box and a population that seems ready to go. I dropped a super on top of it so the girls can start filling it up when they get a chance.
This is the first year in three that I've had hives make it over winter, so I just thought I'd log in and share the good news.