Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 17, 2014, 01:04:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Realestate  (Read 692 times)
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« on: March 16, 2012, 03:43:27 PM »

What do people think of the real estate market at this point in time?  Has it bottomed out?  Is it a good time to be buying?  I know there are still a lot of foreclosures, short sales, and auctions dragging prices down in some markets.  Any thoughts on buying any of those properties?  How is your area doing?
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:51:57 PM »

In my area, the asking price is still high. The selling price is still going down. I know of city house and lot deals available for 20 grand and not moving.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:52:58 PM »

i bought a foreclosure almost 3  years ago.  it's as good way to save money, but the sale is "as is", so be prepared.  the house i bought needed lots of repairs because the people trashed it on the way out.

in our area, we have not been hit as hard as some places, but the prices are down quite a bit from 5 years or so ago.  i don't think we have quite hit bottom because the govt keeps trying to rescue folks.  we would have, and been done with the mess, if they'd stayed out of it.

if you have the money and are in the market anyway, the interest rates are fantastic.  for that reason alone, it's a good time to buy.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:04:44 PM »

I have heard here in Georgia, there is a 3 year supply of houses that still need to be sold.   I know that house prices have not come up any in the past several years.    Also still a lot of open or unfinished commercial spaces here.   Unfinished shopping centers to open warehouses.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:42:07 PM »

KathyP, since you bought “as is” did you worry about lead paint or asbestos?  A potential $$ problem in homes built before 1978?

Anybody buy any real estate in auction?  My understanding is if the banks can’t unload a property short, or in foreclosure, it eventually heads to auction.  My understanding is the banks really hate auctions because they get the lowest prices and get stuck paying hefty auctioneer commissions.

The market is very odd around here.  Many people are still listing property as if it were 2008.  There are some absolutely crazy asking prices.  They are living in fantasy land as far as I can see.  The foreclosures seem to be going for about ½ the retail listers prices; some of the auctions are simply a giveaway. 

Around here the shorts, foreclosures, and auctions seem to be moving.  If they’re ever cleared out of inventory, my thinking is the overall market would likely to take a leap up.  Clearly the people who don’t have to sell are not willing to cut their prices much below the boom days.  When the underwater stuff is liquidated, buyers will be forced to pay the sellers what they want again.  Does that make any sense?
JackM
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »

I am sorta in KathyP's market, we were the boom part right before the bust...all around my house new houses.  All went to forclosure and now have been purchased.  They were all specs and the investors just walked away as they got no down loans.  My home value tripled during that time and is now half that.  BUT as Kathy so well said interest rates are at an all time low.  We just refinanced at 3.25%!!!!! No points either.

As far as buying as investment, if you are able to do the minor maintainence and plan on renting, and will be able to rent it and come out with some extra for maintainence, then yes it is a great time.  There are some real bargains out there, not necessarily repo's either.  Use caution with short sales tho

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »

The interesting(?) part in my neck of the woods;
1) the bank , or whoever, forecloses
2) the occupants, move out
3) the new owners rolleyes, don't even bother to check the property
4) The water lines freeze and break, the insulation becomes saturated, mold/ mildew, floors warp, dry wall disintegrates.....

You would think someone would care?

Live long and prosper!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:23:35 PM »

KathyP, since you bought “as is” did you worry about lead paint or asbestos?

no, i knew that lots of work had been done in the house over the years.  new floors, paint, etc.  even though the owners trashed the place as they left, i had a pretty good idea what i was getting into.  the worst problem other than the torn up cupboards, holes in the walls, etc. was the old wiring and that was not to hard to fix.  it was code, but not split up properly. 

check tax lien properties.  those auctions are sometimes pretty good.  you need cash and sometimes can do the bids online so that you don't have to stand on the front lawn and bid  grin

right now in our area, there are tons of houses on the market, but all those folks who have bad credit, have been foreclosed on, etc. are looking for places to rent.  renters are a PIA because there is a reason they are renting instead of buying....but if you can put up with that, you can make some money.  tax write offs can be helpful.  the more work you can do yourself, the more you can save on the fix up.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next