Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 22, 2014, 10:08:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Like it or Love it....  (Read 847 times)
T Beek
Super Bee

« on: February 28, 2012, 02:11:26 PM »

Like it or love it.... (Did I fool anyone?  grin) Spring is still gonna come this year  Wink

Despite (or maybe its 'in spite' of) the storm outside we are making sweet potato rubs today.  Should hopefully end up with 50-100 plants and be eating them by end of August.  Oh yeah, love them sweet taters, especially roasted  Smiley.

t

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »

Well T Beek ya fooled me!
My personal opinion is: I HATE YAMS AND SWEET POTATOES.

Live long and prosper!
Old Blue
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »

Ima yam fan when they are roasted and moist!  I do believe that the good lord made butter and salt shortly after he made yams.

Old Blue
When the goverment comes for my yams, there will be no surrender, in....
Kali-bone-ya
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:29:18 AM »

Old Blue you are right on!  I've always found that 'roasting a veggie' most always made a convert out of anyone who tried one they could'nt quite get down before. 

To be perfectly honest, for some veggies, its the only way I'll eat em.  Roasted, yum-yum. 

And it "always" worked with getting the kids to clean their plates.  We still turn on new parents with that trick if they claim to have kids that just 'won't' eat their vegetables.  That and the fact that 'no kid' will ever willingly starve themselves, rather than eat some veggies  Wink

t

JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:32:24 AM »

LoL got me.

Yeah, spring seems to be far off.  Calling for snow accumulation tonight, a rarity in December, but March?  Coming in like a lion here for sure!!!!

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:48:58 AM »

Hard to tell with all the drifting, but it looks like we got over 12, mabe 15" over night and its still snowing pretty good right now outside.  We needed the moisture and have no place we have to be today, and I'd much rather have it as snow (on the last day of February) than rain.

t

luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »

I adore sweet potatoes and agree that any veggie is most delish when roasted.

Tbeek--how do you make your sweet potato "rubs"?

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »

We just take a regular sweet potato root (we've used them right from the grocer when we didn't have any of our own to get started) and put a couple toothpicks on each side, placing it in a small (yogurt size) container w/ water filled about half way up the root. 

Place containers in a warm sunny location, changing water daily, we put ours under a fluorescent light in a window bay that also gets alot of sun 'when' it shines  Smiley

After the 'mother' root begins rooting in the water, you'll see sprouts forming from the portion above the water line.  Let these sprouts develop to 2-3" (at least three leaves) and then 'rub' them off right at the base of the 'mother' root and place these 'rubs' in some 'shallow' water (1/2 -1") and w/in a few days you have 'seedlings' ready to put in a 4-6" pot until your particular garden climate can accept them. 

We have an unheated greenhouse that we'll transfer the plants to as they grow and temps get warmer, and up here at least we don't put them out in the garden until after Fathers Day.

This probably seems more complicated than it is and for that I apologize  Undecided  It really is a simple process and "well worth the effort" IMO. 

I mean really  huh.  How else could we cultivate these wonderful beauty's in North Wisconsin any other way  cool

t

luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 11:26:54 AM »

That's awesome! Thanks Smiley I get mine from TN, but I'd rather figure out how to do my own. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next