Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 21, 2014, 03:47:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the most selfish act  (Read 2236 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: February 28, 2012, 10:51:38 AM »

someone wanted a non-political topic, and i have one.

yesterday my BIL committed suicide.  i'm sure it was the usual reasons.  divorce, loss of job, etc.  what i want to express is my anger at his selfish act. 

he did it in a place where family was sure to find him. he gave no thought to the 10 year old daughter, who worshiped him, and is now left to wonder why that worship wasn't enough for daddy.  he did it where my 88 year old MIL lives.  the only thing good about it was that he chose a non-messy method.

to anyone thinking about taking their own life, realize this:  all you leave behind is anger.  anger that you were so selfish that you thought of no one else.  anger that you weren't stronger.  anger that you did what you thought would solve your problems, with no thought to the problems you would cause for all the people you left behind.

~

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:01:35 PM »

My condolences, Kathy. My oldest brother did the same, except a bit messy. High powered deer rifle.
If does, as you say, leave many questions and mixed emotions.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »

After several moments, I still draw a blank. Total loss for words.

I wish the best to you and your family kathy.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
lenape13
Field Bee

We survive together, or not at all!

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »

I am sorry for your loss.  You must remember that when someone chooses to take their own life, they are usually not in a rational state of mind.  They indeed, do not think of those who are left behind to pick up the pieces.  They are so caught up in the own misery, either real or imagined, that death seems to be the only solution. It is easy to say things like, "he could have asked for help...etc.", but when one reaches those depths of dispair, logical thinking is not the norm.  I know, for I have been there.  My attempt failed, so I guess one could call me a complete failure because I couldn't even kill myself correctly.  Looking back, it was a stupid thing to do, but at the time, it seemed the best alternative.  Do I still battle with depression, yes.  Would I seek such a drastic resolution in the future, barring terminal illness, no.  Unfortunately, your BIL, for whatever reasons known only to him, took this route. Try not to bear too much anger towards him.  By all means, feel free to vent your anger here, we will listen. Get out the punching bag, and go a couple of rounds if need be. Try to forgive him, for  your own sake, and do what needs to be done for the survivors.  They will need much love and support in these times.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »

thanks.  guess i was venting a bit.  i have no real part in this other than to support my husband and boys.  this will fall hardest on chris, as he is the only surviving male in a family of females with poor coping skills, and no men of their own. 

this too shall pass....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 02:18:28 PM »

Having dealt w/ this issue way too many times with veterans and their families I have nothing but sympathy for those left behind and only condemnation and comtempt for the selfish act of cowardess known as suicide. 

I know of only one acceptable (to me, just me) reason to take ones own life and 'lifes troubles' are not even close to that reason.

t

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
jmblakeney
House Bee

James

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 02:20:30 PM »

I completely agree with everything you said in your vent Kathy.  I have a brother who has said on many occasions that he would do the same thing and never think twice about it.  Now, he hasn't ever tried it so that leads me to believe it is just for attention.  However, I had it out with him one day and told him just about everything that you stated above.  I told him that he a selfish, inconsiderate, person.  One who know exactly what it would do to our mother and family.  His only response was "well at least I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore".   I gave up, told him how selfish he was and left.

I am sorry for your loss and hope that your inlaws and family can cope with this ok.

James

"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan
RC
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:44:39 PM »

Prayers sent, kathyp. I don't know anything I could say or do to comfort you and your family, but I know Who does.
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »

My Condolences

Well said: lenape13  applause

Live long and prosper!
sterling
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »

Sorry for the situation Kathy. I know how you feel I went through the same thing about six years ago. It really hurts the ones left behind.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »

Sorry Kathy for you, your husband, and his family.
D Semple
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »

Prayers for your niece and family Kathy
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »

My heart is with you my friend.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Old Blue
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »

I am always short on words and struggle with the right things to say when I need them the most.  I am sorry for your families loss and understand your anger.  Please give your family my condolences and try not to be too hard on those of us who don't have better coping skills.  As you are angry and rightfully so, remember that loving forgiveness will do you and all those around you the most good and will carry your family through as best can be.

God bless you.
Old Blue
JackM
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 08:38:45 AM »

I hope you and your family have great strength at this trying time, even more, I do hope that child is not damaged for life. 

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
Intheswamp
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 09:22:49 AM »

<snip>

this too shall pass....

Amen.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Ed

Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 02:18:26 PM »

kathyp sorry for your loss. In my line of work I see it all too often. Ive seen some do it with what they think is a very bg problem and some just because. The hardest is to see and have to inform the families. There are so many questions asked and left unanswered. So those that have thought this or may, just think about your families. I think every family memer will always think "there was something I could have done different." Would you really want a family member to go on thinking it was their fault? What if you have kids, would you want them growing up without one of their parents? What will the child think for the rest of their life? There is always something out there for everyone. You just have to find it.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 02:51:15 PM »

Sorry for your loss Kathy

Keith
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 08:58:17 PM »

Kathy, so sorry this happened. My condolences to you and your family.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
yockey5
Field Bee

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »

Sorry to hear this Kathy.

It also happened just today with an older fellow here. He was a great guy, but was informed of terminal cancer and ended it rather than deal with it.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next