Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 22, 2014, 03:37:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missed Swarm  (Read 757 times)
Lone
Queen Bee

« on: February 20, 2012, 09:45:53 AM »

G'day,

I got home today, and found out that while I was at a beekeeping meeting yesterday, someone had tried to call me about a swarm in their mango tree.  A couple of years ago the same people had called about a swarm in the same tree and by the time we had got there the bees had gone into the tree.  We'd smoked and smoked into a hole fairly low down until they reswarmed and landed on some convenient bamboo.  But this time the queen had her heels dug in.  We must have smoked for 2 hours to try and convince them that it wasn't a nice shady well insulated beehouse.  They flew aorund and just went to another entrance and into the tree again. The tree has quite a few holes I'd say.  They had been there for 24 hours.  I couldn't think of any other way to budge them.  Would the stuff you spray to move bees along work in this case?  It would be impossible to do a trapout in this tree.  I talked with the woman who was afraid of bees, and she seemed reassured and happy for them to stay.

Lone
yockey5
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:28:54 PM »

I once used bee-go to drive a swarm out of tubular steel on a drilling rig. Worked pretty well for me.
OzBuzz
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 07:11:14 PM »

We can't get bee-go here in australia - try almond essence
Pete
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:01:32 AM »

How, dod you dilute it and spray it something? Watched a few vids of people using beego...looks it could be handy.
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:09:55 AM »

Thanks, Yockey.  That was the stuff I read about.  Does Bee Go usually move the queen along too?  Does it work in an established hive or a new one only?  This is just curiosity seeing as we can't get hold of it here.

Lone
yockey5
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:41:42 AM »

Used as a spray IIRC and it drove all the bees out. The drilling company would have killed the bees had I not gotten them out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next