Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 11:26:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NYT entitlement map  (Read 925 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: February 17, 2012, 10:49:44 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/02/12/us/entitlement-map.html?ref=us

this is interesting and take note that it only goes through 2009. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:38:02 AM »

Interesting map KathyP.  Can’t really judge out west, but east of the Mississippi it looks like the areas of highest government support are the poor rural areas.  Are we subsidizing a bunch of dang bee keepers?

The map is an interesting change from people’s perception that all the welfare is going to the inner cities.  I was surprised to see so much going to the upper half of Michigan (not really farming country up there).  Didn’t see a large percent going to Detroit, Chicago, Memphis, Cleveland, etc.

What’s up with the high %s of Unemployment insurance payments in PA and Oregon?
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:38:53 AM »

Once the map is all red then what...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 07:50:09 AM »

Once the map is all red then what...
The nanny state will succeeded in running your life from womb to tomb.

Does the growing dependence not follow the time line of "The Great Society"?
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:12:21 AM »

Did anybody read the RELATED story (trying to post the link)
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/us/even-critics-of-safety-net-increasingly-depend-on-it.html?_r=1

Live long and prosper!
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:20:29 AM »

It's a good read folks! Makes us sound like a bunch of hypocrites!

Live long and prosper!
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »

If the government takes my money in taxes, without my consent, takes a big cut out of it for the bureaucracy and offers to give a little of it back am I foolish for taking it or foolish for refusing it or foolish for allowing them to take it in the first place?

This middle class who is supposedly getting all this money are the ones they took it from...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:47:20 AM »

Very cool map.     I am passing it on.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »

Oregon consistently has a higher unemployment rate that most of the country.  they also have a very generous social welfare program that includes a Medicaid program that is probably second to none in offerings.  maybe it attracts folks to the state, or maybe the threshold for public assistance is really low.  i don't know.
one thing that does hurt, especially when times are hard, is the hight min wage we have.  when everyone is cutting back, those jobs are going to go when they cost the business that much.  don't know any kids around here who have been able to find work.  that's unusual where i am.  i hired one of them to do some work around here, but i sure and heck won't pay that wage for brush work.  at least he can keep gas in his car  smiley

Oregon is run by a lot of wanna be flower children and CA rejects.  they are not very good at managing money and they truly believe that what is mine is theirs to take and redistribute.  they are voted in by nutty tree huggers who believe that there are spirits in the trees and fish, so no tree should be cut or fish...fished.  the more land blocked off by the state and feds, the better.  although i'm not sure they are going to like it when this wonderful breeding ground gets over-crowded and mountain lions start snatching their dust mop dogs.

they spend money on art, beautiful bridge plans, and don't bat an eye at spending millions to move a couple of "rare" bushes that are in the way of a project.  they are heavily into public transportation even when the people don't want it and don't use it.

they meet for their sessions and OMG (which they don't believe in anyway), there isn't enough money for everything!!!! 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:07:58 AM »

AND they totally refuse to look at a sales tax......a tax that even non landowners pay.

What really irks me about Oregon is that my wife works for the federal government at a govt facility.  That is technically not Oregon, it is soverign. But Oregon taxes her income.  We live in Washington.  Tax refunds for out of staters are done after the residents are refunded.  She cannot vote in Oregon and gets no benefits from that state....Taxation without representation. 

So Oregon is best for folks that don't want to own a home, rent instead.  If they don't work they don't pay any taxes at all, it is all free from the government.  That is what makes it popular.

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next