Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 04:17:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: English Mastiff owners!  (Read 4942 times)
Shawn
Queen Bee

« on: February 13, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »

I recently became the parent of a brindle English Mastiff. I got her at 6 weeks old and she has now outgrown the crate, she is now 10 weeks old, I have for her. Does anyone know what size crate I need to get or is there one big enough?
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »

10 foot wide, 20 foot long, 6 foot high should be about right. They don't make the greatest indoor dogs.

ESPECIALLY if you have a lot of company.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:18:20 PM »

have someone LOCK you in a closet for about 16 hours and then rethink the question.

Live long and prosper!
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »

iddee: Well I looked into that but it seems she will be an inside dog, at least when we are home. She is getting spoiled already. My wife's friend comes by weekly and brings toys and treats for her. She has a blanket as a bed in three different rooms.

have someone LOCK you in a closet for about 16 hours and then rethink the question.

The crate is for traveling and night time. There is almost always someone home so she is not locked up.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »

teaching a dog to kennel up is a very good idea. 

that's a lot of dog!!   grin  i don't know if they make a crate that big.  try your local feed store.  if they don't have what you need, they may be able to order one in for you.  i'm guessing you'll need the biggest one on earth!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 06:02:35 PM »

Well, let's put it this way, my Newfoundland is too big for anything I can just go buy.  

If ya gotta keep the dog away from company use a bathroom. (To close the dog in)

If ya want the dog to behave while you have company and sit at your side, get a collar called "The Training Collar."  It works.  My male newfie boisteriousf 10 month old pup went from unmanageable to calm and very obedient.  Now all we have to do is put the collar on...  

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 06:05:21 PM »

We have two dogs. Many times they prefer the confines and privacy of their kennel. By their own choice. I'd much rather let the dog out of a kennel than find the remains of a dog and chewed power cord or something.
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »

Thanks Kathyp. I have always used crates for all my dogs, although all have been hunting dogs up till now. These dogs require respect but also have to know you are the boss. Her mom was 160lbs and her dad was 210lbs. We are now starting our obedience training which I hope goes good.

JackM: I dont like to keep my dogs from company. She is part of the family and will get her trained not to be toooo loving on them  grin. I always train a dog for basic obedience, not to jump on people, and not to lick. Although with this breed I will have to keep towels around for the slobber  shocked
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 06:29:11 PM »

This is her at 6weeks old
schawee
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »

shawn,i had one four years ago, but i lost him when my house burned down. he was one year old and weighted 185lbs,his dad was 265lbs..he was an inside dog and had alot of fun with him.they are very gentle dogs but they do slobber alot.forget about a crate because they dont make them big enough.  he was part of the family and when we had company he was with them.he was trained so i didnt have to worry about him jumping on anyone.i took him everywhere i went and he had the whole back seat of my truck for himself.he loved the swiming pool and stayed in it all the time.i had a raft for him and he would float around on it,i was waiting for him to have a drink with an umbrella in it. hope you and your family have fun with her.       schawee       
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:04:57 PM by schawee » Logged

BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 12:33:47 AM »

>10 foot wide, 20 foot long, 6 foot high should be about right

That sounds about right for an English Mastiff...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
sterling
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:22:59 PM »

You could try one of those crates that people use to raise bottle calves. grin
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 06:53:18 AM »

My wife was thinking the crate we were using was too small already. Last night was the first night for the dog to be crate free all night. When I walked in I used a flashlight to see if there were not any surprises  evil Nope all was good and she was sound asleep on her blanket. Woke her up, went outside to take care of business, and back to sleep.  Smiley
JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »

Thanks Kathyp. I have always used crates for all my dogs, although all have been hunting dogs up till now. These dogs require respect but also have to know you are the boss. Her mom was 160lbs and her dad was 210lbs. We are now starting our obedience training which I hope goes good.

JackM: I dont like to keep my dogs from company. She is part of the family and will get her trained not to be toooo loving on them  grin. I always train a dog for basic obedience, not to jump on people, and not to lick. Although with this breed I will have to keep towels around for the slobber  shocked
I have the slobber problem too.  Folks visiting just hate it, so I have to put his collar on and make him stay with me.  I don't lock my dog from company.  I don't kennel a dog either.  Put a large sized kerchief with snaps around the dogs neck.  Looks cute and serves a functional purpose, wiping slobber.

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 05:17:58 PM »

Very good idea JackM
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »

Shawn,i had one four years ago, but i lost him when my house burned down. he was one year old and weighted 185lbs,his dad was 265lbs..he was an inside dog and had a lot of fun with him.they are very gentle dogs but they do slobber alot.forget about a crate because they don't make them big enough. He was part of the family and when we had company he was with them.he was trained so i didn't have to worry about him jumping on anyone.i took him everywhere i went and he had the whole back seat of my truck for himself.he loved the swimming pool and stayed in it all the time.i had a raft for him and he would float around on it,i was waiting for him to have a drink with an umbrella in it. hope you and your family have fun with her.       schawee       

Shawn,
You might want to take what Schawee said with a grain of salt. He says the same thing about his pet alligator.  grin
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
schawee
Field Bee

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »

this was buddy at 5months  by the way jim ,my pet gator is a lil heavier than that,like 1000lbs heavier grin
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Read more - http://w.po.st/share/entry/redir?publisherKey=yFrog&url=http%3A%2F%2Fimg831.imageshack.us%2Fcontent_round.php%3Fpage%3Ddone%26l%3Dimg831%2F5861%2F59283615.jpg&title=ImageShack%C2%AE%20-%20Online%20Photo%20and%20Video%20Hosting&sharer=copypaste

BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »

I had one year's back his name was Harley he died at four years old from cancer. He was a very mellow dog people would not come on the porch if they didn't know Harley.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »

schawee that is a great photo. At 5 months old it looks bigger than my 10 year old lab. Looks like Im going to have to get a pool  grin
schawee
Field Bee

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »

he loved the pool.everyday he would be in it.     

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next