Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 23, 2014, 02:27:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: English Mastiff owners!  (Read 4161 times)
Shawn
Queen Bee

« on: February 13, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »

I recently became the parent of a brindle English Mastiff. I got her at 6 weeks old and she has now outgrown the crate, she is now 10 weeks old, I have for her. Does anyone know what size crate I need to get or is there one big enough?
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »

10 foot wide, 20 foot long, 6 foot high should be about right. They don't make the greatest indoor dogs.

ESPECIALLY if you have a lot of company.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:18:20 PM »

have someone LOCK you in a closet for about 16 hours and then rethink the question.

Live long and prosper!
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »

iddee: Well I looked into that but it seems she will be an inside dog, at least when we are home. She is getting spoiled already. My wife's friend comes by weekly and brings toys and treats for her. She has a blanket as a bed in three different rooms.

have someone LOCK you in a closet for about 16 hours and then rethink the question.

The crate is for traveling and night time. There is almost always someone home so she is not locked up.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »

teaching a dog to kennel up is a very good idea. 

that's a lot of dog!!   grin  i don't know if they make a crate that big.  try your local feed store.  if they don't have what you need, they may be able to order one in for you.  i'm guessing you'll need the biggest one on earth!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
JackM
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 06:02:35 PM »

Well, let's put it this way, my Newfoundland is too big for anything I can just go buy.  

If ya gotta keep the dog away from company use a bathroom. (To close the dog in)

If ya want the dog to behave while you have company and sit at your side, get a collar called "The Training Collar."  It works.  My male newfie boisteriousf 10 month old pup went from unmanageable to calm and very obedient.  Now all we have to do is put the collar on...  

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 06:05:21 PM »

We have two dogs. Many times they prefer the confines and privacy of their kennel. By their own choice. I'd much rather let the dog out of a kennel than find the remains of a dog and chewed power cord or something.
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »

Thanks Kathyp. I have always used crates for all my dogs, although all have been hunting dogs up till now. These dogs require respect but also have to know you are the boss. Her mom was 160lbs and her dad was 210lbs. We are now starting our obedience training which I hope goes good.

JackM: I dont like to keep my dogs from company. She is part of the family and will get her trained not to be toooo loving on them  grin. I always train a dog for basic obedience, not to jump on people, and not to lick. Although with this breed I will have to keep towels around for the slobber  shocked
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 06:29:11 PM »

This is her at 6weeks old
schawee
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »

shawn,i had one four years ago, but i lost him when my house burned down. he was one year old and weighted 185lbs,his dad was 265lbs..he was an inside dog and had alot of fun with him.they are very gentle dogs but they do slobber alot.forget about a crate because they dont make them big enough.  he was part of the family and when we had company he was with them.he was trained so i didnt have to worry about him jumping on anyone.i took him everywhere i went and he had the whole back seat of my truck for himself.he loved the swiming pool and stayed in it all the time.i had a raft for him and he would float around on it,i was waiting for him to have a drink with an umbrella in it. hope you and your family have fun with her.       schawee       
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:04:57 PM by schawee » Logged

BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 12:33:47 AM »

>10 foot wide, 20 foot long, 6 foot high should be about right

That sounds about right for an English Mastiff...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
sterling
Field Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:22:59 PM »

You could try one of those crates that people use to raise bottle calves. grin
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 06:53:18 AM »

My wife was thinking the crate we were using was too small already. Last night was the first night for the dog to be crate free all night. When I walked in I used a flashlight to see if there were not any surprises  evil Nope all was good and she was sound asleep on her blanket. Woke her up, went outside to take care of business, and back to sleep.  Smiley
JackM
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »

Thanks Kathyp. I have always used crates for all my dogs, although all have been hunting dogs up till now. These dogs require respect but also have to know you are the boss. Her mom was 160lbs and her dad was 210lbs. We are now starting our obedience training which I hope goes good.

JackM: I dont like to keep my dogs from company. She is part of the family and will get her trained not to be toooo loving on them  grin. I always train a dog for basic obedience, not to jump on people, and not to lick. Although with this breed I will have to keep towels around for the slobber  shocked
I have the slobber problem too.  Folks visiting just hate it, so I have to put his collar on and make him stay with me.  I don't lock my dog from company.  I don't kennel a dog either.  Put a large sized kerchief with snaps around the dogs neck.  Looks cute and serves a functional purpose, wiping slobber.

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 05:17:58 PM »

Very good idea JackM
sawdstmakr
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »

Shawn,i had one four years ago, but i lost him when my house burned down. he was one year old and weighted 185lbs,his dad was 265lbs..he was an inside dog and had a lot of fun with him.they are very gentle dogs but they do slobber alot.forget about a crate because they don't make them big enough. He was part of the family and when we had company he was with them.he was trained so i didn't have to worry about him jumping on anyone.i took him everywhere i went and he had the whole back seat of my truck for himself.he loved the swimming pool and stayed in it all the time.i had a raft for him and he would float around on it,i was waiting for him to have a drink with an umbrella in it. hope you and your family have fun with her.       schawee       

Shawn,
You might want to take what Schawee said with a grain of salt. He says the same thing about his pet alligator.  grin
Jim
schawee
Field Bee

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »

this was buddy at 5months  by the way jim ,my pet gator is a lil heavier than that,like 1000lbs heavier grin
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Read more - http://w.po.st/share/entry/redir?publisherKey=yFrog&url=http%3A%2F%2Fimg831.imageshack.us%2Fcontent_round.php%3Fpage%3Ddone%26l%3Dimg831%2F5861%2F59283615.jpg&title=ImageShack%C2%AE%20-%20Online%20Photo%20and%20Video%20Hosting&sharer=copypaste

BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »

I had one year's back his name was Harley he died at four years old from cancer. He was a very mellow dog people would not come on the porch if they didn't know Harley.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »

schawee that is a great photo. At 5 months old it looks bigger than my 10 year old lab. Looks like Im going to have to get a pool  grin
schawee
Field Bee

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »

he loved the pool.everyday he would be in it.     

BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »

he loved the pool.everyday he would be in it.     

Fine looking dog you had.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 03:25:43 PM »

schawee: I look at your pictures and laugh. I can imagine walking by a house, looking at their pool, and then see a huge dog floating by with a big simle  grin. Good looking dog you had. Looks like he had a great life.

Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »

Ok now I need help. The pup seems to think biting is ok. I have tried a spray bottle, tried being very firm, tried a rolled up piece of paper, tried grabbing her mouth and holding it. The grabbing the mouth has worked with all my labs. I cant get it across to her not to bite. When the kids come home the first thing she does is goes and botes their legs and feet. Any ideas?
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »

Every time she tries to bite stick your thumb into her mouth under her tongue and press down (pinch) . She can't close her mouth that way and will tire of trying it.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
sawdstmakr
Super Bee

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »

Does she act like an alpha dog? If so, the first thing you need to do is let her know you are the alpha. One way is pinning her down, with out hurting her, until she submits. Another way is to put her on a leash and keep her under strict control with you all day. I did this with my daughters pup. She was wild as can be and would not listen to any one. With in a couple of hours she calmed and has been a good dog ever since. He also had a bad chew problem. She stayed with us this weekend. Used to keep her in a cage when we were not watching her. I left her out the whole time even all night.
Jim
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 03:24:37 PM »

Thanks for the ideas. Funny thing, I tried grabbing her scruff and pulling but there is so much skin she is trying to grow into that it looks like Im pulling but her body never moves. Anyways, she knows who is the boss and she is already reading me when im not in such a good mood. Ill try the thumb under the tongue, I think it is the same as just grabbing her jaw while she trys to bite. I started a thing with the kids and wife, if the dogs starts to bite or get ruff give her a toy and ignore her. When she calms down they are to pet her and cuddle a bit.
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »

Well took the dog to the vet for her third set of shots. She gained 12 lbs in three weeks. I think this might be a little under weight so Im going to pickup the feeding by a couple more cups a day.She is about 3 months old and weighs 24 lbs.
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 02:46:45 PM »

Thought I would post an updated phto of Diva. 4 months old and 45 lbs.

Riggs
House Bee

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »

What a beautiful dog, looks like she still has alot of growing to to.

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway
SUMO1
New Bee

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »

WOULD LIKE TO REOPEN THIS SUBJECT FOR DISCUSSION. I AM A NEW OWNER OF A ONE YR OLD MASTIFF. I WOULD LIKE SOME INFO AND ADVICE FROM OTHERS WHO HAVE A AN ENGLISH MASTIFF. WE HAVE WHAT IS CALLED A FLUFFY MASTIFF. ACCORDING TO THE BREEDER, THEY ARE SHY UNTIL AFTER 1 AND 1/2 YEARS. WELL HE IS STILL SCARED OF EVERYTHING AND KEEPS HURTING HIMSELF TO TRY TO MAKE MAD DASHES OUT OF THE WAY. HE TRUSTS ONLY A FEW PEOPLE, MY SON, MYSELF AND MY MOTHER. HOWEVER STAYS COMPLETELY AWAY FROM MY HUSBAND. WE ARE TRYING SO HARD TO EARN HIS TRUST. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next