Depends on how much time you have, temperatures, ect. The first couple of super I took off at the beginning of summer I used a homemade escape board. Really just 2 Porter escapes fitted into a screen cut to the right size and fitted over a frame of wood. Worked fine, but it does take an overnight period to get the majority of bees out. Tried some almond extract with 'ok' results, then I bought some of the Fischer's Bee Quick. This is no ad, and I don't know the man or have any personal interest in his company, but that stuff works and works fast. In the heat we're having now, wouldn't want to use the escape board. I'll stick with the Bee Quick.