Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 09:01:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space Cadet  (Read 3323 times)
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 05:10:40 PM »

The military has their own space program; that is NOT NASA.  NASA is CIVILIAN!  NASA is what should be privatized.  Why do the Republicans want big state run industries like NASA?  Almost sounds like they miss communism to me  huh
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 07:05:36 PM »

NASA is not civilian.  it is a cooperation between military and civilian components.  more civilian involvement now, than in the past.  when NASA was born, much of the tech was highly classified.  now, to the extent that private companies can provide services like satellite launch, etc. i think it's great to have them do it. 

however, the space program still has military and intel jobs to do.  also, if we are going to be involved in things like an international space station, we should be able to get our own people and stuff up there. 

as a conservative, i like to see private industry doing most things.  i am not an anarchist.  there is a place for government. as an example, we have an aging and vulnerable power grid.  rather than spend money bailing out unions, i'd rather have seen the billions spend on things like the power grid.  that would have been a useful and necessary spending of tax dollars.

it's funny to me that you think it's a good use of our tax money to throw it down the toilet on "stimulus" but not on something that is not only useful, but has contributed massively the the life style we now lead. 
you probably can stand in one room and lay hands on 10 things that were in some way a result of the space program...then developed and marketed to the public by private industry.  it's one of those rare times when you get a net win from a government program.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 07:12:59 PM »

>>and usually beat out the domestics.
   not anymore!

>>.It wasn't until they started producing in Mexico that the crying started.
   Actually, it was Japan.
   I wouldn't wimper a bit if Mexican worker's were making as much as Canadian workers.

>>space jobs
   KEEP Them ALL!

>> If we don’t believe in Treaties, what good is the rule of law?
    Ask any Native American.

We have a huge and diverse planet. Does anybody think it strange; that we have gone to the Moon, but not the bottom of the Mariana's Trench? We have bombs that can kill millions and floating cities to enforce our will, but we don't KNOW the planet we inhabit!

Live long and prosper!
SEEYA
House Bee

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »

All the chatter aside; Ol Newt was just buying votes! ( just like all politicians!) He is also going to: FREE CUBA!.
Florida: NASA, Cuban Expatiates and ?

Live long and prosper!
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 09:27:22 PM »

So it's about the money and not jobs.My confusion. I guess we can ship all of them over seas as long as we pay the workers enough. that's an interesting concept.
 I think it boils down that Canadian workers are UAW members.So then it becomes something other than an American jobs issue.
I still think as long as our adversaries are doing space travel,we should be at the top of the game. And I think ending the embargo with Cuba would be more mutually beneficial than keeping the status quo.
And Obama sure bought a lot of votes bailing out GM and Chrysler.Basically subsidized car companies benefiting from  true corporate welfare. Evidently they lost their ability to compete with what other were producing(aka loss of market share) or the  other companies would have needed the same resuscitation.

I still think as long as our adversaries are doing space travel,we should be at the top of the game. And I think ending the embargo with Cuba would be more mutually beneficial than keeping the status quo.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »

i agree on cuba.  we should have ended that long ago and it would have ended castro long ago. 

if you paid the auto workers in Mexico the same dollar amount that you pay American workers, that would throw quite a wrench in their economy.  instant millionaires!  smiley  wonder how that would work out?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 09:37:56 PM »

>> If we don’t believe in Treaties, what good is the rule of law?
    Ask any Native American.

We have a huge and diverse planet. Does anybody think it strange; that we have gone to the Moon, but not the bottom of the Mariana's Trench? We have bombs that can kill millions and floating cities to enforce our will, but we don't KNOW the planet we inhabit!

Perhaps we have been there and they won't tell us what is there. Hanger 18 stuff!!

Right on about the Indians.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 10:18:49 PM »

Wow, I think we have an agreement folks!  End the embargo on Cuba!

So who is stopping that from happening?  Every time Obama or Clinton loosed the noose the Republicans went nuts.  Why?

So it looks like the next stop for the crazy train is Nevada.  What is Newt going to offer up to them?  Move Yucca Mountain to the moon?
SEEYA
House Bee

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 06:51:24 AM »

>>So it's about the money and not jobs.My confusion. I guess we can ship all of them over seas as long as we pay the workers enough.

How many of the 11 million  illegal immigrants  are Canadian?  It is ALL about money.

Live long and prosper!
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 07:59:42 AM »

How much do they pay the Mexican workers at the car plants? They may not be the ones crossing the border.
How many of the 11 million left the car plant to come here?

As far as Cuba, I think the chances of a mutually beneficial relationship has a better chance now with the Castros in decline.
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 01:22:57 AM »

... Earthlings, we [already] have a treaty to prevent the militarization of space...

German Chancellor and Furher Adolph Hitler to his Foreign Secretary Von Ribbentrop on the signing of the treaty with Great Brittan and Nettle Chamberland that gave Czechoslovakia to Germany.  "Don't worry, this ridiculous piece of paper means nothing to me!" A. Hitler
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 03:12:51 AM »

I can see your point Kingbee.  Seems the Reagan admin had little respect for the laws either when it came to Iran Contra and the ABM treaty.  But what do you do?  Just abandon all treaties and attack at will? 

I doubt the Mullahs in Tehran give a hoot about treaties with "infidels" either.  But what do you do?
SEEYA
House Bee

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 09:05:38 AM »

>>But what do you do?
 I dunno
"Trust in the Lord, but, keep your powder dry"

Live long and prosper!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 10:12:09 AM »

Every time Obama or Clinton loosed the noose the Republicans went nuts.  Why?

you have an amazingly narrow point of view.  i have thought for many years that the sanctions on travel and trade with cuba should be lifted.  the reason they have not is because there is a powerful and wealthy cuban lobby and they have many sympathetic law makers on both sides.  it is true the the older cuban vote tips more to the republicans, but both sides of the old guard in congress have blocked this.  i don't think it will last much longer.

But what do you do?  Just abandon all treaties and attack at will
?

no, but great care should be taken in signing them.  when you make a pact with international players, you'd better be very sure, and very careful, that you are not going to be the one grabbing your ankles when it's all done.

Alexis de Tocqueville
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 05:08:56 PM »

you have an amazingly narrow point of view.
A kitchen proverb comes to mind here.  Something about a pot and kettle….

i don't think it will last much longer.
You might want to actually learn the positions of your Republican candidates.  Watch any debates?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 06:47:17 PM »

it is A.  not practical (hasn't been for the last 20 years ) and B. more and more of the younger generation cubans want it changed.  it was a reasonable police even through the years of the USSR support of cuba, but that ended long ago. 
doesn't really matter what they say.  it is a policy that has more than run it's course.  we may wait until castro dies, but that won't be long. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 01:22:40 AM »

I can see your point Kingbee.  Seems the Reagan admin had little respect for the laws either... I doubt the Mullahs in Tehran give a hoot about treaties with "infidels" either.  But what do you do?

Do what Reagan recommended, "Trust but verify"  A big dose of preparedness goes a long way too. 

By violating the law are you speaking of the “Fast and Furious” gun running scandal that has enveloped the President’s Attorney General, Eric Holder? 
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next