Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 28, 2014, 07:10:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kodak Moment  (Read 938 times)
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« on: January 19, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »

Any of you going to miss Kodak?  How did it come to this for such an American icon?  What went wrong?  It seemed pretty clear to the rest of us a LONG time ago that photo film was going to go extinct.  Why didn’t this fact of evolution dawn on them?

I will miss Kodak and the old days a little.  I can still remember using some big (and expensive) Kodak paper for developing photos in a photography class I took around 1992.  Photoshop is sure a lot simpler than the multiple iterations of exposure times and color filters it used to take to get the photos right.  I went through plenty of Kodak paper in that class.  All my screw ups certainly helped their bottom line back then.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »

I thought Kodak was just in Chapter 11.   They still will make printers and paper and ink.
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:34:13 PM »

A little of topic:
Remember those flash bulbs?

Live long and prosper!
edward
Queen Bee

FEED ME HONEY or I`ll smash your screen !

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »

I think that back i the 80-90 s they got really burned and had to pay a world record patent theft fine and damages to the Polaroid company  embarassed

mvh edward  tongue
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:10:13 PM »

They put their money into Printers instead of digital camera's.
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 09:13:15 PM »

More people out of work, great news!
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »

A little of topic:
Remember those flash bulbs?
Oh yeah, I remember those cool flash bulbs.  I used to love to take them apart as a kid.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »

You’re right Allen, Chapter 11.  However they only come out alive if they have a business plan that the secured debt holders and banks believe in.  Without a viable business plan they may end up Chapter 7.  Either way they still seem on the road to extinction (or name buyout) to me.  Look at their record.

I read a crazy article the other day suggesting that you might be able to make a quick 30% gain in a few days by buying Kodak stock AFTER they announced bankruptcy.  That sounds nuts on the surface since the stock holders are the first to get wiped out in bankruptcy.  However the article suggested that the stock price in bankruptcy cases typically bounce up shortly after the announcement as all the people who were short before the announcement have to “buy” to cover those short positions.  All that “buying” action drives the price of the shares up.  The old supply vs demand thing. 

The logic seems plausible to me, but the risk vs reward doesn't strike me as attractive; besides you get killed in commissions trading penny stuff.  EK is at 55 cents right now, it will be interesting to see what it does in the next few days.  Obviously nothing you want to buy and hold!
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 06:39:34 AM »

More people out of work, great news!

They make an inferior product. If an employee can't see that he either doesn't want to or is oblivious to the world. Maybe the government will step in and save those high dollar jobs rolleyes

Keith
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 07:40:25 AM »

I thought it was the “job” of the CEO and execs to see these things?  No?

Government shouldn’t bail them out unless they’re the victim of Wall Street Fraud.  I don’t see that in this case.  However the Government or employee reps should definitely try to claw back compensation from the CEOs and execs.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »

government shouldn't bail them out at all.
pretty sure Keith was joking about that, but i wonder how you think GM was a victim....of anything other than unions?

Kodak made some bad business decision and they are buried under legacy costs.  reorganization and new leadership might help them out. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next