Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 04:54:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: so far NO winter  (Read 1760 times)
danno
Super Bee

« on: December 19, 2011, 11:55:20 AM »

Here it is less than a week before Xmas and we have only had one slight dusting of snow.  Still dont have the plows on the trucks.  Firearm deer season ended last night without a single day of tracking snow in almost 5 weeks.  I could really get used to this. 
D Semple
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »

Same here in Kansas this year (knocking on wood).

55 and sunny yesterday and all 16 of my hives had orientation flights going on.

Don
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »

The bees need a break after last winter!

I just wish we could get a little sunshine along with our warmup here in Michigan.
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:47:18 AM »

Most of the hives are out flying around here burning up winter stores.
Don't get me wrong, I like winter with no snow! I just know that we'll pay for all of this later this winter.
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 09:10:50 AM »

>>I just know that we'll pay for all of this later this winter.

I was hoping to catch a swarm or two this summer.
Will this unusually warm winter wipe out a lot of feral colonies?

Live long and prosper!
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »

>>I just know that we'll pay for all of this later this winter.

I was hoping to catch a swarm or two this summer.
Will this unusually warm winter wipe out a lot of feral colonies?
Most swarms come from managed colonies.  Most wild colonies dont make it through there 2nd year.  I know the location of a few bee trees and a couple of bee buildings.  Every other year they are quiet come spring but get replaced in late spring with swarms to start the cycle all over again.  If you want swarms you can increase the odds of trapping them if you are close to a apiary.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »

All this warm weather is really going tank Natural Gas prices!  (as if they havenít tanked underwater already).  Weíre now down to $3/mbtu and there doesnít seem to a bottom!  Iím just amazed the drillers can still drill and make money at these levels.  

I remember oleí Boone fearing $5/mbtu not too long ago.  Prices have fallen like a lead balloon since.  They were $12/mbtu+ just a few years ago.  $3/mbtu has all but destroyed his nutty windmill ideas.  Now thereís more Natural Gas than we know what to do with!  Storage caverns are full, electricity demand has been flat (ban on Edison bulbs), thereís tons of the stuff under the Appalachians, and thereís always the LNG threat from overseas to keep prices low.  Canít some of our creative Beeks figure out a good way to convert cars to NG?  Maybe Obama would even give you a few million $$$$ grin
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »

Its been unseasonably warm down south as well but it seems in recent years February has been our coldest month. It remains to be seen but I figure we have some cold weather coming in January & February. Bees been flying and happy down south. Good luck with getting yours through winter.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »

Warm winter.   Not as much wood to haul to the house.    Bees not freezing as much.  Toes don't freeze as much in the tree stand.   Mud holes are not frozen solid when out riding 4 wheelers.    Besides missing all the snow crap, ice on roads, with a really cold winter, a warm winter sounds fine to me.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 08:17:10 PM »

Donít tell Frameshift, but I think Iím going to like the greenhouse effect  Smiley
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 11:36:11 AM »

Jan 1 and we finally got our first snow.  Put one plow on on Dec 31 and the other today.  Going to be a short winter and Ill be in Florida for a good share of the worst of it.  Ran through all me colonies with the stethoscope on Sat and only found 2 dead.  Jan and Feb are going to be tough on them
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »

Only got 7 inches of snow here this week with the storm. Snow will be gone by Friday with the warmup close to forty.
I'm still enjoying no winter. What we doing in Florida, Vacation or work ?
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 12:51:53 PM »

Only got 7 inches of snow here this week with the storm. Snow will be gone by Friday with the warmup close to forty.
I'm still enjoying no winter. What we doing in Florida, Vacation or work ?
Fishing, Bush gardens, Sun, cocktails and seafood.  The storm split and hit you with 7 and a foot 2 hours north but only maybe 2 here
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »

Drink a few for me, I'll be holding the fort down, or should I say the handle on the snow shovel, while your gone. Have fun.
RayMarler
Field Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »

Less than 2 inches rain in the last 4 months.
California may be a desert this year.
But then again, we may get just enough rain, just in time, to ruin Almond Bloom,
and still end up in a drought. I'm starting to get worried, can you tell?

Sitting in the shade, drinking lemon aid.
Enjoying the breeze while counting the bees.
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 01:25:09 AM »

... I remember oleí Boone fearing $5/mbtu not too long ago.  Prices have fallen like a lead balloon since.  They were $12/mbtu+ just a few years ago.  $3/mbtu has all but destroyed his nutty windmill ideas.  Now thereís more Natural Gas than we know what to do with!... Canít some of our creative Beeks figure out a good way to convert cars to NG? ...

In the United States alone there are more proven  AND recoverable oil reserves under the ground today than has been produced, consumed, or burned by the entire Earth starting when the first oil well was drilled in 1859 and continuing to the present.

Why would anyone like TB Pickens invest good money in a way that turns good money into bad money or even into no money. huh  OL T. Boon Pickens is a business man, a Congressman he ainít.  A businessman makes money, a Congressman throws money away.

Running a car on Natural Gas is easy as Pi (or is it pie?).  It has been done for years and years and years.  There's only one problem, and that problem is that you don't get a lot of motive force from NG, LNG, LP gas or Hydrogen gas.  In this respect Compressed NG or LP etc is a lot like the low BTUs in Ethanol that you and I have both described in unflattering terms elsewhere on this forum.  And did I mention that the mileage you get from NG sucks?

There is however one advantage to NG and that advantage is reduced emissions and reduced engine wear, but modern gasoline engines have reduced these advantages.  Also Natural Gas or other compressed gas vehicles still need to carry and burn gasoline to crank (start) and nun on to reach a temp at which NG of LP will burn in a manner that will keep the engine running.  So right now in your part of the world a 30 minute one way commute may stretch into a two hour or longer Marathon after the warm up period is taken into consideration.  Less during summer (maybe).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next