Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 19, 2014, 06:55:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My stories of life at an animal shelter  (Read 2859 times)
LoriMNnice
House Bee

« on: December 29, 2011, 02:18:22 PM »

It was suggested that I might be able to entertain you forum readers with my stories as an animal shelter worker and veterinary assistant so I will post them periodicaly.

I don't want to ruin the suspense by posting them all at once Smiley

CAUTION..some of these tales might offend as working at the above mentioned places was sometimes not always warm and fuzzy. And a person has to have a crazy sense of humor to work in these places.

A little bit about the shelter I worked at it was called MN Valley Humane Society. And just so everyone knows it was NOT associated with any of the big humane societies it was its own entity. The shelter closed this year because of the economy after being open for over 20 yrs.

Just a note Humane Societies DO NOT recieve any government fundings(this a major mis-conception)

I worked as a staff member in the "surrender" area of the shelter. Some of my duties were to assist in the in-take of animals, examinations, temperment testing and euthanize animals(by injection otherwise known as "blue juice").

My work as a vet assistant lasted over 17yrs in various vet clinics I am NOT a CVT(certified veterinary assistant) but performed all the duties of one because of my on the job training and years of experience.

LoriMNnice
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 02:40:04 PM »

When people surrendered animals they were asked the reason of surrender, I learned quickly that some people lie and did not want to tell the real reason for surrender maybe for fear it pet would not be adoptable? So people usualy gave the standard answers of moving, allergies, not enough room, unwanted litter

Here are some my favorite honest "reason for surrender" answers

Dog licks his butt to much

Dog does not match furniture

Dog eats to much(dog was the tiniest chihuahua I'd ever seen)

Cat is black scares the wife

Dog looks at me funny

Dog killed a colt

Cat jumps on furniture and counters

Sheds to much(both dog and cat)

Eats my underwear(both dog and cat)

Dog chewed a giant hole in wall

Dog eats its own poop

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 03:03:55 PM by LoriMNnice » Logged
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »

i vote for doesn't match the furniture!   grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 05:11:01 PM »

Sad! At least they are surrendering their pets. Around here, it seem like, they just dump them; at the nearest barn.

Live long and prosper!
JackM
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 08:33:16 AM »

Ya, we just saved a kitty.  She had almost starved to death.

I am sure the humor can get quite crass, if it is anything like medical humor.

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 10:55:59 AM »

I could never work at a shelter as my home is not big enough to take in all the animals that I could not let be put down.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
lenape13
Field Bee

We survive together, or not at all!

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 11:37:22 AM »

It's not the animals that need put down, it's the people who harm or abandon them.  I have taken in abused and/or aggressive dogs in the past.  It took quite a bit of work, but they turned out to be some of the nicest animals I've had.  Unfortunately, there just aren't enough people willing to put forth the effort, so the animals pay the price.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 05:30:54 PM »

A few years back I trapped a feral cat on the back porch that was hanging around kickin the other cats butts. We had taken several cats in that we fed and they made good pets. All our cats roam in and out of the house.

I took the captured feral cat to the shelter. While there, and telling them I had caught a feral cat, they were befuddled to hear I wanted to pay for the cats adoption fee. They asked "I thought you said it was not your cat"...and I said it was not. I'm sure they thought I was lying. However, I stated I did not catch the cat to simply bring it into the shelter to then have them kill it. I wanted to pay for the adoption so money would be no object in getting it a nice home.

They said they were not sure if they could do that. I said "Your telling me you won't take my money?" They were baffled. After several phone calls to the director and other folks, a half hour later they said they in fact would take my check. But no assurances could be given that the cat would be adoptable. I said I could live with that.

Two weeks later, I was informed that the cat was put down. That the money was in turn used to discount two other cats so other families could adopt their cats at a discount. The shelter even included two pictures of the families with their pets. I can honestly say, while I do have some problems will "kill" shelters, I admire the workers and those folks volunteering their time and services.

While I am a hunter, meat eater, and give great latitude in allowing folks to keep animals as they see fit....I completely detest folks who abuse animals. I think animal cruelty is one of the lowest form of ignorance one can have.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
LoriMNnice
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »

I could never work at a shelter as my home is not big enough to take in all the animals that I could not let be put down.
...JP
There were many I couldn't euthanize so they did come home with me Smiley

Bjorn...I am sure the shelter did try but sometimes feral cats just can't be rehabilitated and sometimes they have bad diseases like Feleuk,FIV,FIP etc. its a sad thing but sometimes animals just can't get better. You did the right thing Smiley
LoriMNnice
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 06:36:30 PM »

Here is one of my worst bite stories.....The shelter was the drop off place for Eagan animal control and we would get the strays in for holding or the quarantine animals etc. A feral cat was brought in by animal control and just by looking at him you could tell he was an old timer with lots of experience at being feral, he had scars and half an ear, smelled bad and just looked scarey.

I don't know why but someone put him in a holding cage when he came in put him at the very top one which was at least 6.5 feet up. I am 5ft

I decided it was time to examine him and see if we could help the poor guy so I dug out the ladder set it up and opened the cage door stuck my hand in there quick as lightening scruffed him pulled him out and just then the ladder gave way(I must not of locked the legs) I could feel my self falling and all I could think of was the poor cat and him getting hurt so I held on to his scruff with all my might and pulled him towards my body(which is not what you should ever do).

The cat was scared out of his mind so he latched onto my other hand with his teeth and dug all of his claws into my arm and then sprayed me with urine and unneutered male cat urine smells just as bad as a skunk! I landed on my back still holding the cat.

I never let go of that cat cuz I knew that would be the worst thing I could do we would never be able to catch him. My coworker got the cat off me and put him in a cage then we surveyed the damage, yep I would have to go to the hospital. Cat bites are the most dagerous bites you can get their teeth are LOADED with bacteria.

We got to the hospital and I was sitting there awhile and people moving to other chairs to get away from me smelling like skunky cat pee and a nurse came out and asked me if it would be ok if she gave me a gown to put on that I didn't smell very "clean"  grin

So after I changed into my beautiful gown the Dr fixed me up and the nurse gave me my clothes that were triple bagged and stapled shut with a very nice biohazard sticker on it Smiley I went back to work in my gown and called my husband to bring me new clothes.

Sadly the cat was euthanized and sent to the University of MN to be tested for rabies, he tested neg.  he would not of been adoptable anyway but to this day I can still see his face.
yockey5
Field Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 09:30:59 AM »

Great stories! Cats, hippos, and venomous snakes are the only animals that I detest.
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »

Great stories! Cats, hippos, and venomous snakes are the only animals that I detest.

Why do you detest Hippos? Not a big fan of cats here myself, like certain venomous snakes not that I would keep any but am fascinated with :Gaboon vipers, cobras, mambas and sea snakes.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »

I would like to see your king snake eat a snake in real life.   
yockey5
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:33 AM »

Why do you detest Hippos? Not a big fan of cats here myself, like certain venomous snakes not that I would keep any but am fascinated with :Gaboon vipers, cobras, mambas and sea snakes.

...JP

Hippos are big aggressive animals that kill hundreds or folks every year.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 09:18:10 AM »

So are hippos a big problem in Indiana?
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »

...JP

Hippos are big aggressive animals that kill hundreds or folks every year.

True. They kill more people than alligators and sharks. But not as many as mosquitos, or stinging insects like bees.  Wink

Hippos are territorial. They protect their family. I'm trying to figure out why a person would detest an animal like a hippo. Unless you are thinking about swimming in the river with them, they are what they are. I don't detest bees for protecting their home either.

Of course, I guess I don't understand how some folks in the public detest bees either.  Wink Whether a bee or a hippo, go jabbing them the wrong way, and your going to get it.  grin

We don't have hippos running around in Indiana do we?  shocked
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:31:28 AM by BjornBee » Logged

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
yockey5
Field Bee

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 09:31:16 AM »

So are hippos a big problem in Indiana?

No hippos here, I shoot everyone that comes onto my farm.
LoriMNnice
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 09:25:56 PM »

Take yourchild to work day.....My daughter was about 10-11 when she got to come to work with me at the shelter she was very excited. On this day I did have to euthanize a cat (I can't remember what the reason was) but it could not wait so I asked my daughter if she wanted to be there when I did this and she said yes(she always knew part of my job was euthanizing animals) so I let her be in the room and pet the cat when I euthanized the cat, it was good euthanasia and the cat peacefuly went to sleep(yes there are bad euthanasias)

I am a bit paranoid about accidently bagging an animal and putting it in the freezer and it not being fully dead that would just be awful! So I always double check to make sure the animal is dead, I first listen for a heartbeat then tap it's eyeball for a reflex. And I did this to the cat before I bagged it up.

Later that day my daughter asked me to read her report of her work day, the report was reading pretty good then I got to the paragraph about the the euthanasia and it said this "My mom had to kill a cat then poked its eyes to make sure it was dead" LOL I had her re-do that part and explain it better Smiley

She also went to my job when I worked at the vet clinic and got to assist in a dog neuter after the surgery she got to dissect the testicles. I don't remember what that report read but it must of been ok she was a couple of years older then but I am just glad she didn't write something like this "My mom helped cut off a pair of balls then I got to cut them up into pieces" LOL
Tommyt
Field Bee

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 07:42:44 AM »

"My mom helped cut off a pair of balls then I got to cut them up into pieces" LOL
Could have went like this
I guess when a cat goes nutz,you them off and they're OK

Tommyt

"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 08:45:31 AM »

7 lives to go!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45862769/

Animal shelter fails twice to kill cat.

www.bjornapiaries.com