Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 02, 2014, 01:43:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do first?  (Read 382 times)
lcsdday
New Bee

« on: December 22, 2011, 06:40:11 PM »

Next year will be my third year in beekeeping.  This year I did pretty well with honey extraction and now I have about twelve supers of drawn comb to put back on ten hives next year.  My question is do I start off with the drawn comb and when I run out then start putting supers of new foundation?  My goal is to make honey and have a surplus of drawn comb.  I know drawn comb is worth its weight in gold so do I concentrate on drawing out new foundation or would you recommend putting it on last.  Here in my area the honey flow only last about two months (april-may).  Sometimes if we are lucky maybe until June.  I have yet to see a really good or productive fall flow so my time is limited.  Any advice is appreciated.

David
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 07:40:33 PM »

I would mix in a few frames of foundation at a time, moving capped frames up and keep open area just above the brood nest.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next