Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 04:12:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protein Isolate  (Read 5422 times)
CapnChkn
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 12:26:55 PM »

Well, I have to get back to work, I haven't abandoned this thread.  Everytime I see Finski's posts at this time of year, I'm reminded of the episode of Northern Exposure where the bar owner has to fight because the ice in the river hasn't broken yet.

All this has to do with a jar of dietary supplement I got hold of because the guy was throwing it out.  I can use the jar, and don't really need the muscle, although after a day of splitting elm I'm thinking about it.  It's a good thing I didn't mention the ingredients of the other jar, that has an alphabet soup of everything from Modified Glucose Polymers, to Methylxanthine.

Remember, when you buy items for your computer, make sure to buy the ones labeled "Internet."  I know I use my "Internet Mouse," and miss the use of my "Internet CD drive."

"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.
rdy-b
Super Bee

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »

you could make SMOOTHIES with it-last year there was a post about feeding bananas -you could add the banana to
 the smoothy- cheesy a few years ago everyone was adding TANG (the drink the astronots used) bees realy went for that stuff- Wink
 Smiley RDY-B
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »

you could make SMOOTHIES with it-last year there was a post about feeding bananas -you could add the banana to
 the smoothy- cheesy a few years ago everyone was adding TANG (the drink the astronots used) bees realy went for that stuff- Wink
 Smiley RDY-B

banana has only sugar as nutrient.

Language barrier NOT included
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 02:06:21 PM »

finski-- Smiley  the topic is protein isolate-try and be a little more constructive in your approach-you have no claim to this topic
or any other topic-the group moves along fine without the negative braiding --HAPY SOLSTICE  Wink  RDY-B

the topic was the big brothers had left some body building stuff in the room corner and the small brother got in mind that may I feed that stuff to bees?

After that discussion has been mere chaos. And Randy, where we need Randy? To make constructive illusion about ..... Now I forgot. ..... Yes big brother's muscles.

rdy-b
Super Bee

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 02:55:32 PM »

yes thats funny- Smiley  finski you need to calibrate your translator-it should have a learning ap
like spell checker--Im not rugby-and im not randy--i am- rdy-b--  cheesy finski-do you know the keeper
in the video-he has very nice boxes-dont you think-- Smiley  --RDY-B
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 05:17:28 PM »

Ää äää ää

rdy-b
Super Bee

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 05:31:09 PM »

kyllä ​​thats funny-finski pitää kalibroida kääntäjä-sen olisi pitänyt oppimisen AP
kuten oikeinkirjoituksen tarkistus - Im ei rugby-ja im ole Randy - Olen-RDY-b - finski-Tiedätkö pitäjän
in video-hän on erittäin mukava laatikot-Dont luulet - - RDY-B

tongue RDY-B
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 12:42:38 AM »

You are not afraid of Santa?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:56:37 AM by Finski » Logged

CapnChkn
House Bee

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 04:10:17 AM »

Whew!

you could make SMOOTHIES with it

Actually, I'll just feed that stuff to my worms.  I don't know if they need Protein Isolate, or Methylxanthine to stay awake, but if they're fat and happy, I'm happy.  Before anyone calls Shenanigans, I'm sure if they don't eat the stuff, they'll eat whatever grew on it.

From what they say about the Wheat Protein Isolate, it seems the Gluten is still in the mix.  Though Gluten is a protein, it's a long stretchy one, why Wheat paste is such an excellent glue.  I have no idea what the bees think about it though.

Rdy, I found this under the whole Gluten thing.  I see you're happy with the Soy Isolate.  Is there some change in your mind about the Canola?  Earlier here in this thread you suggest I try Safflower and Corn:

50lbs brewers yeast
 60lbs granulated sugar
 5lbs powdered egg yok
 5lbs soy isolate (this is not soy flour)
48oz canola oil
 48oz corn oil
1lb cytric acid crystals
3.25 gal hot water
1/2 cup HbH

On a different note, it's been fairly warm here.  Today I read 56°F (13°C) on my thermometer, and all colonies were out doing their thing.  I took a break to watch and even after we had several freezes I see them bringing in large baskets of pollen!  Some red-orange, some olive-green.  I remember Michael Bush saying they would forage it even after freezes, but I have to see it to believe it!  I have no clue to where they're finding it!

No, I'm not afraid of Santa, he brings me the same crap every year.

"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 06:53:42 AM »

I took a break to watch and even after we had several freezes I see them bringing in large baskets of pollen!  Some red-orange, some olive-green.  I remember Michael Bush saying they would forage it even after freezes, but I have to see it to believe it!  I have no clue to where they're finding it

I know Im not that far from you_but mine are still bringing in pollen too. Some deep orange,reddish looking stuff.
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 09:08:45 AM »

Google tells that soya isolate has 90% protein. Carbohydrates  and fat has been removed.
. So Captain adds food oil and carbohydrates .

Say magic word "isolate"!

Captain as no pollen in the recipe

when I have used soya flour, i have noticed that it  hardends the patty.. It limits the amount what I use. Yeast is very essential with soya flour.

Yes, the bees eate patty with maximum speed. They cannot consume it more because in the first stage number of nurser bees limits the brood area. When youg bees emerge, bees get willow pollen too from nature. Because willow pollen has only 15% crude protein, bees like to continue patty eating.

The patty is not hyper stuff, but it makes its duty.

.with electrict heating and patty I get 3-fold speed in Spring build up compard to natural system. . Should I demand more.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:24:10 AM by Finski » Logged

Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 11:11:22 AM »

Should we be happy about 90% protein? Is it better than soya 60% or dryed yest  50%..
A human body has 70% water. We cannot eate dry food. Then we must eate something else than pure protein. Carbohydrates, fibres,etc to get "healthy" food. Then we  should drink every day 3  litres water to keep our kidneys and blood pressure  in condition.

Soy beans must be boiled 3 hours that fabacae poisons  will be eliminated. Vitamins?

Are you happy about purified food? Do you think that bees are happy?

It is important that bees get  essential amino acids in ther food and some other food stuff. Bees can compensate a while missing nutrients. They can take it from their body a while but it shortens the worker life.

I have  seen that when bees eate mere patty and cannot go to willows for continuous rains, they stopped larva rearing. If they do not get drinking water during one week, they eate all larvae from hives. (snow in ground).

Many guys have said: "Stupid patty. Full of mold".  -  yes, they saved sugar.

Does the patty drill onto bottom or is it too dry. At least I must excercise several years that patty feedings went without surprises.

rdy-b
Super Bee

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »

*Rdy, I found this under the whole Gluten thing.  I see you're happy with the Soy Isolate.  Is there some change in your mind about the Canola?  Earlier here in this thread you suggest I try Safflower and Corn:*

capn-in the earlier thread the main point i wanted to bring up was the combination of two oils- canola
 is the favorite -check at your local store-I have found a oil that is blended from manufacture-it is safflower and corn
 at 50/50 mix-so it is hassle free to use the two oils-the corn oil is the one that gives the extra bang-

*when I have used soya flour, i have noticed that it  hardens the patty.. It limits the amount what I use. Yeast is very essential with soya flour.*

yes yeast is essential -its not all the same and deferent brands of brewers yeast will even mix different -I am not
even sure what type of yeast you are using fin-ski-you speak of the mix bubbling-is your yeast still alive
maybe its torula yeast -i dont know you havnt said -finski says that when he uses soya flour it hardens the
patty-this supports the fact that all the ingredients have to be compatible for a final mix that fills our needs

**Should we be happy about 90% protein? Is it better than soya 60% or dried yeast  50%..
A human body has 70% water. We cannot eate dry food. Then we must eate something else than pure protein. Carbohydrates, fibres,etc to get "healthy" food. Then we  should drink every day 3  litres water to keep our kidneys and blood pressure  in condition.**

as i said earlier the higher protein allows us to use less of the protein source to be used-when we are able to use
less and still get the protein percent -then we can use EXTRA sugar or HONEY-this gives use a high protein and
 carbohydrate for consumption-if you make a simple pie graph and a target protein number you can visualize
the ratios you are getting -the use of protein isolate has great benefit in achieving your goals--

fin-ski-sometimes i think you are thinking we are just speaking about using the isolate by its self--thats
 not the case it is a ingredient -in combination with other ingredients that allows use to achieve our goal
-and to answer your question--NO Im not afraid of SANTA--I leave him jars of HONEY and and he leaves me a new HIVE TOOL-  Smiley RDY-B

Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »

As I said, protein is not a limiting fartor in spring. Even if you feed 120% protein you cannot get more new bees because limiting factor is nurser bees. I do not know how it works in California.

Our nurserbees in April have born in late August. They are 7 months old.
After 4 weeks from my patty feeding start  the hive has a new nurser gang. Foragers have gathered allready willow pollen from nature 1-2 weeks.

In May the limiting factors are the size of colony and  the heat.  A 5 frame colony cannot make much brood what ever you do to it. Perhaps you get shalkbrood when you try too much.

The best way to build up small colonies is to give emerging brood frames from big hives.

As far as I have feeded pollen in spring to hives 20 years, protein content is not a limiting factor here.

Good weather inspire the colony to rear brood. When it is rainy week in May, the larva feeding drops 50%. It is their natural instinct to do so.  when I had Elgon bees, they were like mad to rear brood. They had full speed all the time and they did not mind about weathers.

I know that. I have done this so much.

rdy-b
Super Bee

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2011, 05:41:15 PM »

All good points i would like to add--

**As I said, protein is not a limiting factor in spring. Even if you feed 120% protein you cannot get more new bees because limiting factor is nurser bees. I do not know how it works in California.**

yes protein is a limiting factor-and also we need to remember that we need correct amino acid profile
and the protein isolate is a good way to BALANCE this--the bees will only utilize what there bodies can use
we are not trying to reach the highest protein level-but using profile of pollen and maintaining 50% carbohydrate
(sugar or honey) proportion % of mix is what works in california- Smiley

**As far as I have feeded pollen in spring to hives 20 years, protein content is not a limiting factor here.**

that is a interesting condition --due you mean feeding of patty mix or straight pollen-or pollen in your mix-
at any rate -natural pollen stored in hive is a good resource no doubt-many take the approach of using three box system with bottom box being used for pollen storage--instead of letting bee consume this resource in the FAll-we feed coupes amounts of protein sub for bees to rear winter bees and charge protein reserves in there body fat-(even a bear eats before winter sleep)-this will allow the natural pollen reserves gathered in pollen box to be utilized for spring brood- Wink
-yes we know about the willow pollen and such-poster BOCHA has no luck with natural pollen flow for build up-can you help him -I told him to speak with you for guidance-he lives close to you- Smiley

cool RDY-B

Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2011, 05:06:59 PM »

All good points i would like to add--

**As I said, protein is not a limiting factor in spring. Even if you feed 120% protein you

Sorry sorry! I meant that the high percent of protein content....soya or yeast  60% compared to 90% isolate.

rdy-b
Super Bee

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »

suprized about the position you are taking- when the HP100 puts you in the same boat-???  RDY-B
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2011, 07:30:43 AM »

suprized about the position you are taking- when the HP100 puts you in the same boat-???  RDY-B

You are surprising my every sentence.  I cannot understand what pleasure you get from it.

I do not mind in what boat I am. HP is a fine product. I do not take headache from it.

Bees food optimal protein percentage is 24%. It is same how much more you offer proteins, they make amount of brood.

Willow pollen raw protein is 15% Fireweed is 11%. Pollen ball has 30% honey.
Bees manage to rear their colony.
Pine pollen has only 2%. Bees gather it too.
Kiwi pollen has protein not at all.

Fireweed in Alaska. It has pollen protein only 11%.
Splended nertar source.
The honey does not crystallize.

boca
House Bee

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2011, 09:07:46 AM »

when I had Elgon bees, they were like mad to rear brood. They had full speed all the time and they did not mind about weathers.
What is the Elgon bee? Is it a strain or hybrid? huh
rdy-b
Super Bee

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2011, 01:09:49 PM »

**As I said, protein is not a limiting fartor in spring. Even if you feed 120% protein you cannot get more new bees because limiting factor is nurser bees. I do not know how it works in California.**

nurser bees you say--well we already know that house bees and even field bees have the ability
 to rejuvenate and make beemik-this is a typical scenario of a protein charged colony-over 90%
of bees will be able to help nurser bees-its part of the reason(in tune with the queen being feed protein rich bee milk) protein sub creates a population explosion-but if your sub falls Below there needs you have missed the boat again-- Smiley

Smiley RDY-B in california 42 degre F with palm trees swaying

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/port_of_helsinki/web_cameras/south_harbour
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:09:17 PM by rdy-b » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next