Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 28, 2014, 07:40:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Feeders / Waterers  (Read 1021 times)
romduck
House Bee

« on: July 27, 2005, 01:20:50 PM »

I've previously used inverted buckets, boardman feeders, etc and have just picked up some white plastic hive-top feeders. the instructions noted that suggested uses include "watering" the bees in the Summertime and to increase ventilation in heat such as we have had.

smiley  I'm curious if anyone is using / has used hive top feeders in Summer at all, let alone for watering / feeding / ventilation or a combination of purposes.

I've done a search and found no information specific to those topics. I DID find a number of different opinions on the TYPES of feeders to use during other times of the year, hence my reason for trying the different feeders myself.

Any thoughts / experiences?

--
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 02:00:31 PM »

On small nucs and especially if I confine bees, I use a mason jar with holes over the inner cover (or a special inner cover with a hole the size of a mason jar and screened).

Otherwise I don't just because it's a lot of work.  I'd rather just turn on the lawn sprinkler and provide the bees with water while keeping my pasture alive.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
romduck
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 02:16:02 PM »

Thanks. I pretty much do the same.

I actually have a number of local water sources around me (stream, swamp, rock area that collects runoff from garden watering) as well as a bird feeder that has never seen a bird, but has seen many, many bees.

I get the idea that if they already have a water source and they don't need immediate feeding then one wouldn't need to put or keep the feeders on.

By the way I SWEAR that I've joined the local beekeeping club and plan to swing more of these questions / polls their way as soon as meeting start up again!   wink

I appreciate everyone's help with the questions that I've posted over the past week or so.

--
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next