Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 23, 2014, 02:11:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Drone  (Read 2123 times)
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« on: December 08, 2011, 11:08:18 PM »

So whom do we believe about this drone the Iranians say they have captured?   Iran claims to have brought down a top secret drone with some form of cyber attack while the US reports suggest there was some sort of mechanical failure and a drone was lost and would have crashed in to a bunch of small pieces.

Now that the Iranians have put what looks like a drone on TV, the US reports are suggesting that maybe it’s a fake.  http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/08/world/meast/iran-drone/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

What do you think?  Fake or real?

What are the odds of a plane losing control at 50,000 feet and coming down intact as this thing looks?
SEEYA
House Bee

Poke a meek dog enough times.........!

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »

It has got to be a mock up. I can't believe our military wouldn't have some sort of a self-destruct mechanism on board, for just this sort of situation.

Live long and prosper!
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 07:59:54 PM »

That plane did not come down.   There was not a scratch on it.   Where was it shot?   How did it crash?   Shot in the butt and landed in jello?   
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:34:44 PM »

I can't believe our military wouldn't have some sort of a self-destruct mechanism on board, for just this sort of situation.

i had that thought also.

apparently the thing is designed to glide down in the event of mechanical issues.  it's also supposed to be pretty stealthy.  one explanation that was proposed was that someone (Chinese?) may have interfered with the signal between the satellite and the drone and brought it down.  the Iranians would have no problem taking money from someone like China to retrieve the drone and turn it over.  how would the Iranians know where to find the thing?  do they have the tech to track something like that when it's supposed to be almost invisible  on radar?  don't know.  probably never will.....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:52:33 AM »

I find it way hard to believe the thing is white.  I think it is all a big scam to take attention away from something else.  Again, there have been multiple explosive 'accidents' lately in Iran.  This covert war being spoken of probably is going down. 

The drone should have had a self destruct, and I am sorry gliding down in Iran and not severely damaging the aircraft in my mind is impossible.  If the Iranians got it, it was because we wanted them to get it.  Again, I don't think that is a real drone, it looks wrong.  Why hide the bottom?  Ya, this isn't Kosher.

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 10:29:35 AM »

I was under the impression that a flying wing design (like the drone) was inherently unstable and needed a lot of electronics to keep it in the air.  It also seems likely such drones would have to be capable of autonomous flight anyways due to time delays between the ground and the drone.  That being the case, it would seem plausible that the designers would add in an algorithm to safely glide back to earth in the event of a loss of signal from the satellite or a failure in the drone’s receiver.  I would bet these things mostly fly autonomously and follow a preprogrammed GPS route.  Then all the CIA has to do is snap photos along the way.

Y’all made some good points, but I tend to believe the Iranians in this case; I think it’s real.  What are the odds they could mock up such a smooth looking drone in a matter of days?  How long would it take you to mold up such a thing in fiberglass and get it finished up for display on TV?  Fiberglass work isn’t exactly quick.  Yeah the underside is probably busted up, but I think it’s a real drone.

How long will it take the Chinese to copy this thing?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 04:37:05 PM »

http://www.conunderground.com/breaking-we-were-right-obama-gave-iran-the-drone/

i don't know anything about this site, so take that into consideration.  this was sent to me by someone.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 08:54:36 AM »

Having flown radio control aircraft for multiple years, even coming down on a grassy field would leave the nose and leading edges with damage.  Maybe Barack had them land the SOB for the Iranians, I don't know, but if that aircraft landed on it's own off a runway there should be visible damage all along the leading edges.  It is either a fake or it was landed for them. 

We all know our pres is a traitor

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 12:24:39 PM »

Remember the Clinton era:
http://kosova.org/post/US-F-117-Stealth-Fighter-Is-Downed-in-Yugoslavia.aspx
"The loss of the F-117 was a propaganda coup for the Serbians, who have absorbed four days of heavy pounding from American and NATO bombs and missiles and the loss of at least five MIG fighters in air-to-air combat. It was the first time one of the $43 million F-117's had gone down in hostile action. They performed flawlessly in hundreds of missions over Iraq in 1991."
And this article on what may have become of that:
http://newamericamedia.org/2011/01/how-chinas-stealth-aircraft-rose-from-ashes-of-balkan-war.php

And now this administration has lost a stealth helicopter in the BinLaden raid that went who knows where,and now one of our Drones.
Perhaps in "fairness" to our adversaries.

JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »

lest we not forget the U2 and Gary Powers.

As always, pooh happens. evil

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 10:04:04 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/11/bolton-iranian-jamming-technology-could-be-worse-news-than-downed-drone/

it does happen.  sometimes it just happens, and sometimes we are allowing it to happen. 

if we chose not to destroy or retrieve...or do whatever the 3rd option was, just because we might make the Iranians angry, that is a very disturbing decision.  not only should the American people be concerned, but plenty of people around the world are probably hearing this and knowing they are in trouble.  Israel, Taiwan, Iraq, etc.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 08:07:55 AM »

Just one Tomahawk would have done the trick.  I just am amazed that the thing landed without visible damage, and all reports say essentially it did.....so I guess it was landed by someone?HuhHuh

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 10:20:08 AM »

the tech wonks say it glides when it looses power or comms.  if it lost whatever over a flat place and glided down, the damage would probably be small.
we seemed to have been able to locate it without problem, so i don't know why we couldn't send a jet over and blow it up.  we are still in Iraq last i checked....but hey, that might have offended the Iranians.  so much better to ask them nicely to return the thing.

Alexis de Tocqueville
sterling
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »

The report I heard this morning on a local radio show said Obama could have destroyed it or turned it back but didn't. Ya'll may have already heard that. Don't know any details.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 02:45:54 AM »

Kind of thinking about Robo’s Made in America thread and our lost Drone.  If the Drone is like most everything else in America, half the parts come from Asia!  So how long do you think it will take the Chinese to reverse engineer the drone if half the parts came from China to begin with?  I would add a LOL here if it wasn’t so serious  Smiley

Iran is claiming they are about done “decoding” the drone and has the ability to reverse engineer the thing and reproduce them.   Are they blowing hot air here or do you think they have the brains to do it? 
http://news.yahoo.com/iran-says-almost-done-decoding-us-drone-113942602.html
JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 08:02:42 AM »

well obviously it is real, so maybe they somehow did decode it and land it themselves?  It is all mute now anyhow.  I still want to nuke them  rolleyes

AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/iran-may-captured-u-stealth-drone-hacking-gps-030447469.html

Ya, Iran stole it from us.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 12:34:48 PM »

I don’t know Allen, the Iranian Engineer kind of sounds like he knows what he's talking about!

Maybe these guys are a little brighter than we give them credit for? 

Maybe they've been studying engineering texts while we've been studying black-scholes?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 12:36:59 PM »

iran has had lots of tech help from other countries, like Russia.  even if they don't know something, they can sure get help figuring it out.  Iran also has an educated population.  until the '79 revolution, their education system was quite modern.  they are still putting lots of effort into tech stuff.

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »

Oil money can buy a lot Chinese expertise also.   
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next